Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any clues why blinking check engine light?

when the awd was not working I was not getting any hook up in gravel or wet pavement. When I was spinning my back tires were not. Normally I would not spin like this on gravel. I would keep spinning as long as I had it on the gas. When AWD is working I would just hook up and go. What is that black connector for? AWD is fine as long as I dont unplugg this connector. But when connector is plugged in I have a check engine light.

The black connector is the ECU check connector. When it's connected The check engine light will blink with the codes stored in the ECU, or if no codes are present, it will flash in a steady interval.

Why would my AWD stop working as soon as I unlpugg this connector.

A blinking CEL means the problem is currently happening. A steady CEL means a problem was detected and noted. That's for OBD2...not sure if it's the same for OBD1. What sensor was the offender? A little more info on vehicle...year, model, miles, etc...

WRONG... Blinking CEL means that a condition exists that will harm the catalytic converter, specifically a lean misfire. Steady means its' something other than that one, and most monitors are what's known as a two-trip fault, meaning that the problem has to occur on two separate "Trips" in order for the CEL to illuminate (But the problem will be stored as a pending code the first time the fault is detected, and if it goes 40 warm up cycles w/o repeating the problem, it's cleared.) OR something close to that, I'd have to dig out my EMS2 book and look at the chart in there, but if your car is a 92 it's OBD1 and not OBD2 so in that case I don't know what the flashing MIL means.