Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another gas milage thread

I currently have a couple of subarus and this is my question. What kind of MPG is everybody getting and what kind of setup do you have. In my old 82 GL wagon that I had for about 10 years now(half of those years parked, spare car) I used to get around 25 mpg going back and forth to work (about 15 miles one way, 1/2 interstate, 1/2 city driving). Only took it on a couple of long trips (300 miles to West Virgina)because they were predicting snow and we took the 4wd. On both of those trips, I averaged around 30 mpg. Now its just a 4 speed manual Ea81. I would figure the newer cars would do better than than this but it looks (from reading other threads) that they are no better or worse. When I first go the wagon used, a friend had a Brat with the same setup as my wagon. He got a little better hwy milage (34-35)due to his having a 5 speed and I figured it weighed less and he also only drove about 60 mph. I am getting ready to take apart my old wagon motor(which started getting really bad milage(20 or so) when it stated missing in a pull (valve problem I guess) and I intend on putting it in an 89 RX Automatic(which the motor is trashed in). Will this RX get much worse milage than the wagon? What is the weight difference? I would appreciate any info.

I have an 81 5 speed DL wagon.

It is a very light car, weighing in at around 2000 pounds!

When I bought this car in the 80's as a used car, it was still getting 31-33 miles per gallon. Now this five speed wagon front wheel drive only gets around 25-27 mpg.

I would LOVE to convert to fuel injection, anyone offering the service?

I have an 81 5 speed DL wagon.

It is a very light car, weighing in at around 2000 pounds!

When I bought this car in the 80's as a used car, it was still getting 31-33 miles per gallon. Now this five speed wagon front wheel drive only gets around 25-27 mpg.

I would LOVE to convert to fuel injection, anyone offering the service?

Why the drop in milage? Just losing compression with age?

'87 3-door EA82 spfi : 29-31 all around, 33-36 long hi-way @ 70-75 mph.

'89 wagon EA82 spfi : 27-30 all around, 31-33 long hi-way @ 65-70 mph.

Oviously the wagon is heavier and dragier. Both of these engines have approx. 150k on them.

'82 hatch EA81 carb - don't know or care - local beater mostly in winter, guess about 25-28.

'84 wagon EA81 carb (friends car) 26-28 all around & 30-31 highway.

84 Brat, 6" lift, 30x9.5 tyres, Weber 32/36 -

18-22 mixed mode city/highway/wheelin

24-27 at interstate cruise (65-70mph)

I've found my highway mileage swing even further outside those numbers depending on the terrain and prevailing winds. South Florida just about perfectly flat road with a tailwind for 90% of the route netted me 33mpg once, but I think that was just a fluke.

'86 GL Wagon, 5-speed, stock carb - engine has about 220K mi (out of diff. car) - getting approx 26-28 MPG mixed highway/city driving. I run super unleaded only though - and it was only getting 22 MPG when I first started running this motor until a few tanks of super went through her, then the mileage improved a lot......