Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Murphy" Lives... Finally The 87 T-Wag Runs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 froggymike

froggymike

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

The turbo wagon, I have named "Murphy" due to all the problems I had replacing the engine, runs "good" but not great. Finished it yesterday. Here are a few of the problems I'm having at the moment.

Throttle response is a bit sluggish and the check engine light is on. Boy they make those brite in this serries.

The turbo light comes on sooner than I expected (about 2k rpm). But that might be due to the check engine problem.

I don't have passing mode with the auto trans; you know, when you mash the gas pedal to the floor and the tranny kicks into high grear.

There is a sensor screwed into the block, just in front of the flywheel opening. It's fried. What is it?

#2 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,397 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:19 AM

I'm not positive, but I think that sensor is the knock sensor. Have you tried getting the codes? If not, here's an article in the USRM: http://www.ultimates...rticle.php?a=44
Assuming it's a three speed tranny, sounds like maybe the kickdown relay or maybe the vacume moduator. Don't have much experience with autos, but that would be my first guess.
Hope that helps.

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,890 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

yes, that sensor is the knock sensor, found on all turbo'ed EA82s... I unfortunatly don't have a spare:rolleyes:

#4 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

for the passing mode, I have to press REALLY hard on the gas pedal. If you look under there, there is a button the peddle hits when it's at the floor. I didn't see an easy way to adjust it though.

If the pedal is hitting it, then the problem could be with the actual relay on the transmission. It's on the passenger side, just in front of the vacuum modulator (thing with a vacuum line going to it).

With the key on, you should be able to flip the switch by the gas pedal with your finger and have someone else listen for the relay on the tranny to click.

In my new t-wagon, the dash gauge shows it spooling by about 2K also. This is my first turbo, so I'm not sure if that's normal for these cars or not.

#5 froggymike

froggymike

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:37 AM

Update: Drove it tonight to school (getting masters in Ed). The Murph did well. I found the cruise control doesn't seem to work. Will pick up a knock sensor tomorrow if I have time. I didn't hear the tranny relay trip, can I pull it and check it without having to drain the fluid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users