Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Murphy" Lives... Finally The 87 T-Wag Runs

The turbo wagon, I have named "Murphy" due to all the problems I had replacing the engine, runs "good" but not great. Finished it yesterday. Here are a few of the problems I'm having at the moment.

Throttle response is a bit sluggish and the check engine light is on. Boy they make those brite in this serries.

The turbo light comes on sooner than I expected (about 2k rpm). But that might be due to the check engine problem.

I don't have passing mode with the auto trans; you know, when you mash the gas pedal to the floor and the tranny kicks into high grear.

There is a sensor screwed into the block, just in front of the flywheel opening. It's fried. What is it?

I'm not positive, but I think that sensor is the knock sensor. Have you tried getting the codes? If not, here's an article in the USRM: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=44

Assuming it's a three speed tranny, sounds like maybe the kickdown relay or maybe the vacume moduator. Don't have much experience with autos, but that would be my first guess.

Hope that helps.

for the passing mode, I have to press REALLY hard on the gas pedal. If you look under there, there is a button the peddle hits when it's at the floor. I didn't see an easy way to adjust it though.

If the pedal is hitting it, then the problem could be with the actual relay on the transmission. It's on the passenger side, just in front of the vacuum modulator (thing with a vacuum line going to it).

With the key on, you should be able to flip the switch by the gas pedal with your finger and have someone else listen for the relay on the tranny to click.

In my new t-wagon, the dash gauge shows it spooling by about 2K also. This is my first turbo, so I'm not sure if that's normal for these cars or not.

Update: Drove it tonight to school (getting masters in Ed). The Murph did well. I found the cruise control doesn't seem to work. Will pick up a knock sensor tomorrow if I have time. I didn't hear the tranny relay trip, can I pull it and check it without having to drain the fluid?