Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1999 Legacy outback transmission problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nickatnite

Nickatnite

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Kennewick

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hi all! My 1999 Legacy Outback has developed a disturbing problem. Sometimes when I put it in drive, it just sits there as if in neutral. Reverse works, but and of the forwad gears just at like neutral. If I rev the engine up a bit it will usually start to creep forward, or just clunk into gear. I had the transmission svericed, fluid change and both filters. This solved it for a while, but it is back ,like a bad habit. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nickatnite

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

I think the problem may be caused by a sticky valve. I don't think it will hurt anything but I would let it gently engage rather than rev the engine and make it jerk.

Here is a link to a site that you may want to try their transmission additive to see if that will solve the problem. They have a good product I think but I have not tried any as of yet.

http://auto-rx.net/

#3 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

This is about the fifth post recently on vehicles with this problem, mostly 99 or 00 models, no answers yet, but something is up.

#4 mwatt

mwatt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Hi all! My 1999 Legacy Outback has developed a disturbing problem. Sometimes when I put it in drive, it just sits there as if in neutral. Reverse works, but and of the forwad gears just at like neutral. If I rev the engine up a bit it will usually start to creep forward, or just clunk into gear. I had the transmission svericed, fluid change and both filters. This solved it for a while, but it is back ,like a bad habit. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nickatnite

I changed the fluid twice and the external filter once. That corrected this problem on my '99 Legacy GT. I'm not a technician, but my theory is that fresh ATF is highly "detergent" and by changing the fluid twice (about 150 miles between changes), it either dislodged some varnish or swelled up a shrunken seal. Whatever the case, it's been 8000 miles and 10 months since I did this, and the transmission still goes into gear promptly when the shifter is moved to "D"

#5 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

A have a 2000 legacy and use it hard, so I am worried about the above mentioned problem.
However, I always suspected that people reporting these problems did not change ATF every 30000 (15000 severe service) as recommended. I personally am a believer in the 15000/30000 intervals, synthetic oils and transmission coolers. So far so good.

#6 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

Has anyone tried the Auto RX product? I have the same problem with my 98 transmission. Im desperate to find a fix rather then replace the transmission again!

#7 Nickatnite

Nickatnite

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Kennewick

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

All,
Thanks for the input, however . . . the tranny absolutely refused to work in any forward gears, so I got it to a transmission shop. The torque converter had gone out and took a bunch of other stuff with it. It is being rebuilt. They said it was very unusual to even see a Subaru in the shop with transmission problems - at the most they get one to two per year. A good tribute to the way Subarus are built. Unfortunately, ours was one of them. I bought the car used and attribute the failure to the first owner not servicing the transmission. I will be taking care of it!

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users