Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vibrating and rattling nosie when i downshift

The heat shields are a really common noise maker. I was in a parking building today with the windows down and noticed mine are starting to act up again. I will be under there soon with a rubber mallet whacking the shields to see which is the rattler this time. If it is the shield it is really easy to fix with a sheet metal screw.

The heat shields surround various parts of the exhaust from the y pipe back. Slide under the car and bang on the various components of the exhaust. Use the Search function on this site where you can find different solutions from using a sheet metal screw to tighten, stuffing steel wool between the shield and the exhaust or depending on how much of a risk taker you are, cut it off if it is really loose and stay out of high grass. Of course, stock replacement of the section is always an option.

where should i look for this heat shield? and can it be fixed with a simple socket set tighting a bolt? or do i need to buy some parts or something

I changed the whole front downpipe. After I heard from you guys how easy it was to fix the next one cost me a sheet metal screw. Next one gets another screw from the parts bin in the garage. If I go high tech I may use a stainless one.