Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fluid changes..... Subaru Newbie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MiniTransAm

MiniTransAm

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Lancaster

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:03 PM

Howdy guys, first post on this forum.

My fiance and I have picked up a 99 OBW auto with 103K on it. This weekend I plan on changing all the fluids.

I plan on using,
Mobil1 5w30 synthetic
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF
Mobil1 75w90 Synthetic Gear oil.

Notice a pattern :)

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything quirky with scoobies about using sythetic fluids. While this will be expensive, I'm a firm believer in them.

The mobil1 website also recomened I use 10w30 in the engine. The manual says I can use this but 5w30 is recomened. Do you think Mobil recomened this due to the higher mileage of the car??

Do I also need to change the transmission filter? I read on another thread that this is a "lifetime" filter and doesn't really need to be changed. The fact that the filter costs well over 30 bucks, kind of reinforces that but also goes against my better judgement.

Thanks for the help and insight.

#2 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:23 PM

I personnaly wouldn't recommend using Synthetic.. but it wont present any problems. Just don't mix it with any other types/brands/non-synthetics/additives. EVER. I would however recommend using 10w30 for your engine oil. And maybe switching to 5w30 at your pre-winter oil change. Depending on how cold it gets there. I find that my 98 2.5 Legacy GT runs a lot better on 10w30.. (But I live in Tucson.) No advice about tranny filter. Hope you enjoy your OBW. Good luck!

Howdy guys, first post on this forum.

My fiance and I have picked up a 99 OBW auto with 103K on it. This weekend I plan on changing all the fluids.

I plan on using,
Mobil1 5w30 synthetic
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF
Mobil1 75w90 Synthetic Gear oil.

Notice a pattern :)

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything quirky with scoobies about using sythetic fluids. While this will be expensive, I'm a firm believer in them.

The mobil1 website also recomened I use 10w30 in the engine. The manual says I can use this but 5w30 is recomened. Do you think Mobil recomened this due to the higher mileage of the car??

Do I also need to change the transmission filter? I read on another thread that this is a "lifetime" filter and doesn't really need to be changed. The fact that the filter costs well over 30 bucks, kind of reinforces that but also goes against my better judgement.

Thanks for the help and insight.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

You'll be fine with Mobil's products. Don't let the mineral vs. synthetic debate scare you off.

I like to run 5W-50 in my engine, but I do take it on tracks every now and then. Plus hunt the redline daily :)

Replacing the tranny filter is probably a good idea. Stick with genuine parts - for the engine oil filter too.

#4 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:30 AM

you should think about getting the 105K timing belt service done while your at it. I do these at my shop for $450. obviously less if you supply the fluids. my e-mail address is:

subarueast@yahoo.com

take care

#5 MiniTransAm

MiniTransAm

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Lancaster

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

you should think about getting the 105K timing belt service done while your at it. I do these at my shop for $450. obviously less if you supply the fluids. my e-mail address is:

subarueast@yahoo.com

take care

I called the dealer before we picked the car up and according to their records the timing belt has been serviced!

Do you change the tranny filter at your shop when you do a tranny service by any chance??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users