Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy guys, first post on this forum.

My fiance and I have picked up a 99 OBW auto with 103K on it. This weekend I plan on changing all the fluids.

I plan on using,

Mobil1 5w30 synthetic

Mobil1 Synthetic ATF

Mobil1 75w90 Synthetic Gear oil.

Notice a pattern :)

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything quirky with scoobies about using sythetic fluids. While this will be expensive, I'm a firm believer in them.

The mobil1 website also recomened I use 10w30 in the engine. The manual says I can use this but 5w30 is recomened. Do you think Mobil recomened this due to the higher mileage of the car??

Do I also need to change the transmission filter? I read on another thread that this is a "lifetime" filter and doesn't really need to be changed. The fact that the filter costs well over 30 bucks, kind of reinforces that but also goes against my better judgement.

Thanks for the help and insight.

I personnaly wouldn't recommend using Synthetic.. but it wont present any problems. Just don't mix it with any other types/brands/non-synthetics/additives. EVER. I would however recommend using 10w30 for your engine oil. And maybe switching to 5w30 at your pre-winter oil change. Depending on how cold it gets there. I find that my 98 2.5 Legacy GT runs a lot better on 10w30.. (But I live in Tucson.) No advice about tranny filter. Hope you enjoy your OBW. Good luck!

Howdy guys, first post on this forum.

My fiance and I have picked up a 99 OBW auto with 103K on it. This weekend I plan on changing all the fluids.

I plan on using,

Mobil1 5w30 synthetic

Mobil1 Synthetic ATF

Mobil1 75w90 Synthetic Gear oil.

Notice a pattern :)

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything quirky with scoobies about using sythetic fluids. While this will be expensive, I'm a firm believer in them.

The mobil1 website also recomened I use 10w30 in the engine. The manual says I can use this but 5w30 is recomened. Do you think Mobil recomened this due to the higher mileage of the car??

Do I also need to change the transmission filter? I read on another thread that this is a "lifetime" filter and doesn't really need to be changed. The fact that the filter costs well over 30 bucks, kind of reinforces that but also goes against my better judgement.

Thanks for the help and insight.

You'll be fine with Mobil's products. Don't let the mineral vs. synthetic debate scare you off.

I like to run 5W-50 in my engine, but I do take it on tracks every now and then. Plus hunt the redline daily :)

Replacing the tranny filter is probably a good idea. Stick with genuine parts - for the engine oil filter too.

you should think about getting the 105K timing belt service done while your at it. I do these at my shop for $450. obviously less if you supply the fluids. my e-mail address is:

subarueast@yahoo.com

take care

I called the dealer before we picked the car up and according to their records the timing belt has been serviced!

Do you change the tranny filter at your shop when you do a tranny service by any chance??