Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are new struts still available?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:12 PM

I am looking for new struts for my 78 Brat. Are they even made any more? I am looking to replace the rear shocks too. Help me out please! I am trying to get my Brat good enough to take it down to Pismo Beach and try it out. Got some work to get it to that point but this along with a good drivers side CV axle would be a good start. Thanks.

#2 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,861 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

If I were you, I would swap in EA81 struts for the front since they're a lot easier to come by and you can get the adjustable ones. Almost a direct bolt in but one of the brackets that holds it into the knuckle is different then the EA71. Also, you can use EA81 front axles in place of the EA71, just about 1/2" difference in length but can be used.

#3 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

THey all still show up on eBay all the time.

#4 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

I got rear shocks for my '78 on eBay for $24.95 a pair + ship.

If you need them in a hurry...

www.classicgarage.com

They had the front struts for my '78. More expensive but still deeply discounted from list.

#5 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

If I were you, I would swap in EA81 struts for the front since they're a lot easier to come by and you can get the adjustable ones. Almost a direct bolt in but one of the brackets that holds it into the knuckle is different then the EA71. Also, you can use EA81 front axles in place of the EA71, just about 1/2" difference in length but can be used.

How did you overcome the difference in brackets?
Is the ea81 axle the shorter of the two? I have two remans from Checker that are barely long enough to use.

#6 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

The rear shocks are the same as ALL gen 1 cars. 2WD OR 4WD.
I might have a set of rears. Are you interested?

Todd

#7 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:17 AM

KYB still makes them but look for the listing under 1980 or 1981 brat for the struts and shocks cause the listings that most places will have will only date back to 80 and luckily gen 1 brats were made for those 2 years

#8 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

Can you point me in the right direction as to where I might find the KYB struts. I did a little searching on the internet and came up with nothing. Thanks.

#9 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

I'm told that the 2 WD inserts will also work in the 4WD strut. I have some for sale here.

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=36653

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,861 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

How did you overcome the difference in brackets?
Is the ea81 axle the shorter of the two? I have two remans from Checker that are barely long enough to use.

Basically there's a clamp on the knuckle that "clamps" the strut into the knuckle and then there's another bracket on the strut that a bolt runs through and into the knuckle. If I remember correctly, I turned the EA81 strut into the same direction as the EA71, bent the bracket a little bit and it worked. Even if you don't use the bracket, I'm pretty sure the clamping force of the knuckle would be sufficiant enough for everyday street driving.

As for the axles, the EA81 axle is about 1/2" longer then the EA71...

#11 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:07 AM

Can you point me in the right direction as to where I might find the KYB struts. I did a little searching on the internet and came up with nothing. Thanks.

just try the local parts stores and if need be tell them to look through their books and also try the other brands too for a replacement strut

#12 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

Basically there's a clamp on the knuckle that "clamps" the strut into the knuckle and then there's another bracket on the strut that a bolt runs through and into the knuckle. If I remember correctly, I turned the EA81 strut into the same direction as the EA71, bent the bracket a little bit and it worked. Even if you don't use the bracket, I'm pretty sure the clamping force of the knuckle would be sufficiant enough for everyday street driving.

As for the axles, the EA81 axle is about 1/2" longer then the EA71...

(a little off thread, but...) I have two axles on my '78,not long enough to even put the flat washer on after the cone washer. I haven't done anything about it yet as the '78 is off the road as of now. I figure the ends were buggered up, they trimmed the ends and chased the threads.

#13 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:32 AM

Did you get your rear shocks?

#14 wrw166

wrw166

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

++++++++++++++++++++

i put fwd strut tubes on my 1980 4wd. they were koni adjustable from:

DCS consulting:
Posted Image1755 Mission Rd., 2nd FloorPosted ImageSouth San Francisco, CA 94080+1220Posted ImageUS Posted ImagePosted ImageMain Phone: (650) 756-3533Posted ImageFax : (650) 756-5533Posted ImagePosted ImageWholesale distributor of Koni obsolete and discontinued Koni shock absorbers. Exporter to Australia. +++++++++++++++++++++++
they were old stock and 2 for $17.50 on ebay. they sold me a third for $5.

the first on i instlled clunked. so i had to take it apart and put a spacer between the inset and the bottom of the tube ( a 1" junk brass nut) now they're fine. a little too stiff at 1/2 setting.

these things arn't too mysterious. i'd try any Subaru stuff. stay awayfrom Monroe! hope ths is helpful.
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted Image

#15 82bratavenger

82bratavenger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Malaga

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

I just bought KYB shocks and struts for my '82 Brat at my local Foriegn parts store. They are a parts plus dealer. Cost me about $240 after tax and they shipped in the next day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users