Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leg-a-CEE needs an L-S-D!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Moab

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

So my superu is lame! The 95 legs (non turbo) didn't come with LSD.
(Yeah I know, tons of you coulda told me that ;)

So what would I need to do to put LSDs in it? Could I just switch out the rear pumpkin, and front diff. units? Do i need to do any computer crap? I assume the tranny does the center diff, so the power sent to each wheel comes drom the front or rear diffs, not the computer, right?

Would IMP outback diffs work? the junk yard's got a 2002 handy...

If i get outback diffs, would i need to do any gearing in the tranny?

thanks gang!

#2 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,805 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

Imp OB don't have LSD's. I know this because I own one.:lol: but i bought one to put in someday. :brow:

Look at Legacy OB wagons....some of them do and some don't. Newer ones 2000-2004 have them standard I think but the older ones IIRC it was an option that was in a package with heated seats etc. Check upper level option package Foresters too. If you find a newer body forester than any one that is an XS or XT will have the LSD. The "x" model does not.

If you can find your diff ratio the if you are lucky enough to find an LSD with the same ratio it could be as simple as a straight swap. if you find one with a different ratio you need to swap out the gears in the rear diffs. You don't need to mess with the front diff at all. Smarter people than I can help you with that project.

#3 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Moab

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

Imp OB don't have LSD's. I know this because I own one.:lol: but i bought one to put in someday. :brow:

Look at Legacy OB wagons....some of them do and some don't. Newer ones 2000-2004 have them standard I think but the older ones IIRC it was an option that was in a package with heated seats etc. Check upper level option package Foresters too. If you find a newer body forester than any one that is an XS or XT will have the LSD. The "x" model does not.

If you can find your diff ratio the if you are lucky enough to find an LSD with the same ratio it could be as simple as a straight swap. if you find one with a different ratio you need to swap out the gears in the rear diffs. You don't need to mess with the front diff at all. Smarter people than I can help you with that project.

Cool, thanks for the start..
i think my gearing is 3.91

could I straight swap a 4.11 diff?

#4 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:24 AM

No. If you've got 3.9, you need another 3.9. I think some of the 91 Legacy turbos had 3.9 lsds. Otherwise you'll need to change the front, too, which takes a little more work. Mismatched front and rear diffs means the front and rear wheels will spin at different speeds.

#5 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Moab

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:51 AM

Does anyone else have any more info for what I should be looking for or from what doner cars a LSD (rear first i soppose) will work in my 95 leg?

#6 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

if your car is a 95', you have the 4.11 gearing, 3.90 gears were made only until like 92' i think, someone will chime in and tell me im full of it.

~Josh~

#7 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,359 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

if your car is a 95', you have the 4.11 gearing, 3.90 gears were made only until like 92' i think, someone will chime in and tell me im full of it.

~Josh~

you're full of it...

liar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users