Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Total newbie transmission questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toygeek

toygeek

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:38 PM

Hey there everyone. I'm considering buying a subie for a project car, and I DO mean a project.

I need to know how the transmissions and the 4wd systems work. As I currently understand it, the low range for 4wd is built into the transmission. Is that correct? How is the power split from front to rear?

These are very basic questions, but don't be afraid to be technical about the answers. I am currently building a 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser wagon(FJ-55) that has 6" lift, 35" tires, swapped in motor/drivetrain from a new model, and a welded rear differential. Weber carb, header, homebuilt exhaust, etc. No newbie to tech :D

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Also I'd like to know the width of the wheel mounting surfaces.

If there is a website that thas all this info, I'm all ears :)

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:50 PM

Technically speaking, subaru's don't have just a transmission - it's actually the transmission, front diff, and 4WD transfer case, all in one unit. Power split is mechanically locked at 50/50 for all the manual D/R tranny's.

What is this project?

GD

#3 toygeek

toygeek

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:57 PM

Well its a bit oddball, might be sacrilege to subie guys. I want to put in an actual 4wd tranfer case out of a truck, behind the normal subaru transmission. This done with a short driveline between the tranny/transfer case. Then, solid axles replacing the independant front/rear, with leaf springs.

I'm not even sure it can be done on a subaru. Its either that or an old Toyota corolla wagon, before they went front wheel drive. Just trying to research options still.

Thanks!

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:36 PM

Been done.. Unhatched has something like 20 forward gears now..Isn't that right guys?

I'll let its owner illuminate.

#5 toygeek

toygeek

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:52 PM

Cool! Pix?

#6 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:38 AM

This is Unhatched's site for what it's worth.

If you decide to do it, keep us posted on the progress.

You have to choose the Sub! It' morally wrong to use a Carolla.

Glenn,
82 Hatch, transforming...:temper:
01 Forester, jealous...:madder:

#7 toygeek

toygeek

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:58 AM

Thanks! Any idea on how to contact him for pix, etc, or if I'm just missing something? I went to "members" and didnt see unhatched on there.

I figured a subaru would be the best platform for what I want to do, since they are well proven in the off-road environment. Now I gotta go to the pick-n-pull with a tape measure and measure out leaf spring mounts, crossmember mounts, make a game plan for a steering setup, WMS measurement, etc.

BTW the reason I'm considering this (or even thinking about it) is so that my wife can have a killer little rig for her around town driving. If I use a suzuki samurai transfer case, it has a 1.3:1 high range ratio, which would make up for bigger tires to a degree :D

#8 toygeek

toygeek

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 08 September 2003 - 12:37 PM

OK I did a search and found that his username is lumpycam. Found the website, too.

http://geocities.com..._cam/INDEX.html

So the extra transfer case can be added.

Now my next question is this: Do subaru's have an actual frame? Or is it unibody type construction? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users