Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick question

so ill put it in first and go, then shift into second and it drops down in rpm's and then takes a lloonngg time to get up to speed, unless! i hold out and shift at redline (im guessing - no tach yet) then it goes fine, whats wrong? is it just my timing?

subaru moters like to rev high. the red line on ea82 is 6500 and on ea81 5500.

so i dought you are reving it as high as you think. but these moters are not the most powerful moters ever made so you will learn to keep your rpms up if you want power

subaru moters like to rev high. the red line on ea82 is 6500 and on ea81 5500.

so i dought you are reving it as high as you think. but these moters are not the most powerful moters ever made so you will learn to keep your rpms up if you want power

I rev my Brat to 5200 and a bit maybe ever so offen.

Back to the subject. You have driven other subarus? If not, maybe stengllhm is right. Or maybe you do have a problem.. By what you have said, yeah check your timing, not hard if you have a timing light.

i think its just me im used to shifting earlier, but how much hp's do EA81's have?
heh.. its much more accurate if you measure it in pony power instead of horsepower. :lol:

As I recall, when new, the NA EA81 specs were 72hp/90ftlbs peak.

I find that my EA82T (not your engine but not much different apart from turbo) is EXTREMELY cold-blooded - it revs quite sluggishly in second or third until it reaches operating temperature a bit above the bottom tick on the temp gauge. Are you letting it warm up?