Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buzzing Shifter Problem

90 Loyale, std tranny, fwd, 192k. Here's the recently-developing problem: Shift knob, shifter starting to buzz and vibrate excessively upon acceleration. Stops when you take your foot off the gas. Have checked pitch stopper (fine), and knob is tight. Anyone have this problem in past and solved it? What is it - axle problem, u joint problem, tranny or motor mount problem, bushings?? All help appreciated.

Update: Jerry (below) was right. The fix is the rubber sheath on the bottom of the shifter rod. Part #33154GA210 ($2.65). I also replaced the nylon bushing (this is the bushing that press-fits over the shifter rod ball joint at the bottom of the rod) Part # 733146000 ($7.48) and the rubber shock absorber for the base swivel mount on the linkage Part #33154GA042 ($25.80). A $38 fix that probably could be done for $2.65. If any manual tranny folks out there want to do this "buzzing shifter" fix, feel free to PM me for help. And thanks again to Jerry and others.

With that many miles, probably the bushings in the shifter linkage.

I think there are 3 - one near the aft end that can be accessed from the inside of the car when console and boot are removed and 2 more at a sort of U-joint towards the front of the linkage.

Usually one of these forward ones wears out. Look along the left side of the transmission from underneath the car. As I can recall, you can see the "U joint" and can see if the bushings are wobbling when you move them (they should not). I also recall it's a bit of a struggle to replace them.

Hi Bill This is Jerry,the rattle is from the antie rattle bushing that is wore out. That bushing is under the shifter, to get to it you need to remove the consel. Then remove the rubber boot under the consel, then go under the car and remover the 2 nuts that holdes the shifter to the linkage. You will find a black piece of rubber around the white half ball that is on the end of the shifter. That black piece of rubber is it, go to dealer and get a new one part # 33154GA210 it cost about 3 bucks. When you put this back together make sure you put some grease on the ball. Thanks Jerry

Update: Jerry (below) was right. The fix is the rubber sheath on the bottom of the shifter rod. Part #33154GA210 ($2.65). I also replaced the nylon bushing (this is the bushing that press-fits over the shifter rod ball joint at the bottom of the rod) Part # 733146000 ($7.48) and the rubber shock absorber for the base swivel mount on the linkage Part #33154GA042 ($25.80). A $38 fix that probably could be done for $2.65. If any manual tranny folks out there want to do this "buzzing shifter" fix, feel free to PM me for help. And thanks again to Jerry and others.

• 10 months later...

Thanks.

Can you believe he wasn't sure. He said "there are a lot of bushing down there and the part book we have isn't real clear." He was going to fax it to me to review! (yikes...that's like the teacher faxing the student to see if the answer is right.)

I went ahead and had him order the part # provided here.

I'll go to that link you provided, too. Thanks!

I just picked up my Soob. Brought it back into town to have a local fellow work on in instead.

During the drive back, I was thinking that my next task (after this vibrate thing is figured out) is to determine what can be done, if anything, to improve the 0 to 50 mph speed at which it accelerates.

It's driving much nicer now -- after he adjusted timing belts and the timing. In fact, I've lost somewhere along this "fix" business the sound of valves working hard when its under load. That's odd. Very nice.

But, it still seems to not go from 0 to high mph as quickly as I thing it should. It feels a bit sluggy as I push on that accelerator. It's much better than before though.

Once it gets to cruising speed, she's fine. And I can even put the shifter into 5th and the rattle reduces to a quiet little vibration.

Any thoughts on sluggish engine/performance, as I describe? ( has new spark plugs, rotor cap, wires, air filter) Fuel filter???