Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve seals

There are no rubber seals on the exhaust valves.
So thats normal then? Wonder what the reasoning behind that is? I have never sen this on any other type motor. I would like to put some on the exhaust anyway. I couldn't see this hurting anything.

There are seals on all of them, but only the intake valves have rubber seals.
Now I'm confused. There is another kind? I have only seen the rubber type and a cheap o-ring type that went on Chevys(pathetic). Whats the exhaust one made of?

I took apart my Ea81 heads today and checked out the valves and lapped them with some compound. I put them all back together until my rebuild kit arrives. I noticed that there were no valve seals on the exhaust valves, is this normal?

I was doing the exact same procedure today. I found teh same thing. The kit I bought to reseal the heads had eight seals. I put them on they fit right, there seems to be room??? I do not see what harm it could do?? Maybe I'll wait for more info before putting engine back together...

It came with 8 rubber seals? Maybe some models have seals on the exhaust valves?

One possible prob i can see is that the exhaust valves/valve guides may get too hot for the rubber seals.

What exactly is your engine?

When I rebuilt my EA82-T my Reseal Kit (OEM SUBARU) came with 8 rubber seals, I used them all.

1000miles on the new motor, going fine not burning a drop of oil.

We speak of the ea81. Perhaps Beegeer is talking about an ea82 too?

We speak of the ea81. Perhaps Beegeer is talking about an ea82 too?

Nope I have an ea81.

The gasket kit I bought as a Felpro HS 8818 PT, it came with 8 valve seals. It says right here on the box for 1.8l (ea81), so I have the right kit. All the seals are the same.

One possible prob i can see is that the exhaust valves/valve guides may get too hot for the rubber seals.

Good point, heat on exhaust side might be why they come with out.

It came with 8 rubber seals? Maybe some models have seals on the exhaust valves?

What exactly is your engine?

No, I haven't recieved the kit yet. So I don't know. I am new to Subaru motors, so I will have to wait and see what all comes in the kit.

Interesting. I'm wondering weather the hydraulic lifter engines came without seals on the exhaust valves, while the solid lifter ones did.

My (hydraulic) ea81t does not have exhaust valve seals.

Not sure whether my (solid) '81 ea81 does or not, ill have to have a look.

My kit came and I have put the engine back together all but the heads. Ok, here's the deal. The kit came with 8 valve seals. The intake valve guides have a barbed type end that accepts the seals good the exhaust ones don't. I attempted to put them on the exhaust valves and they didn't go on well and I could not get the seals down to the measurement to the head that is explained in the haynes manual of .913 inch. I got the intakes down there fine. I think I am going to go back and remove them from the exhaust valves because this might cause a problem. This motor appeared to be untouched until I went into it.