Ultimate Subaru Message Board

B9 Tribeca hits the showroom floor! (photos)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They pulled the BRAT at the begining of the SUV boom.

Introduced the XT and gave it less power than a family minivan.

Introduced the SVX at the death of the luxury sports car boom of the late 80's early 90's

Introduced the Baja after removing every feature that made it appealing.

And now, this.

At least the Outback and WRX will keep them afloat, but through how many blunders?

This Subaru isn't for the current Subaru owner. They needed to get out of their niche (outdoor person, hippie, lesbian, flower hauler...whatever) to become more accessible for the other people. In this case, parents who don't want to buy a minivan.

So it's an interesting, bold departure for Subaru...let's see where it takes us :)

This Subaru isn't for the current Subaru owner. They needed to get out of their niche (outdoor person, hippie, lesbian, flower hauler...whatever) to become more accessible for the other people. In this case, parents who don't want to buy a minivan.

So it's an interesting, bold departure for Subaru...let's see where it takes us :)

I couldn't disagree more. The last thing Subaru needs to do is get out of their niche. Subaru is a different car company, and it's the corporate kiss-asses at GM that feel that it needs to be the SAME as every other car company. I don't know about you guys, but I DON'T want to see more Subarus in a Wal-Mart parking lot than Hondas or Toyotas.

There is no unique SUV out there, at all. If it were unique, it wouldn't be an SUV. :rolleyes:

There are 2 at the dealer here in Madison. I can't stand SUVs at all, but this is a Subaru so it's ok. My gf wants to trade in her 1995 Lumina minivan on it.

The grille reminds me of an Alfa Romeo.

That parking light switch is odd. My car has that too, no idea why.

a short summary of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (in effect since 1969): "a vehicle exterior lighting system must be operable to make vehicle conspicious on the road.......at all times" (ignition on OR off).

Since Subaru has chosen to wire headlamp/marker lamp circuit thru igniton side of electrical system (supposedly to PREVENT leaving lights on after vehicle is shut down), the switch is required---to make marker lamps operable with ignition off. What I don't understand is why Subaru insists on locating the switch there.

The last thing Subaru needs to do is get out of their niche. Subaru is a different car company, and it's the corporate kiss-asses at GM that feel that it needs to be the SAME as every other car company.

I disagree 90%. I would rather see Subaru expand its line than disappear into oblivion. If subaru relies soley on its niche market, then it will probably go broke because it won't keep up with customer demand.

I understand that people are worried that by moving into SUV's, subaru might be abandoning its "core" market. but it's actually customers that will dictate this. Sure the WRX STi is a great niche car, but if 5 years down the road, they only sell 100 cars (w/o charging ferrari prices), how can you justify producing a car at such a loss? how can a company stay in business if it's constantly losing money on meeting the demands of only 0.001% (I just made up that #) of the car business.

But wait!!!! what if the tribeca is a hit, they make lots o' money and they are still able to produce their specialty cars that the mass market doesn't want??

Subaru has had its success because it met the needs of certain customers. that's great. but can you guarantee that EVERY current subaru customer will continue to want only the current offerings?? Things change, attitudes change, demand changes. if a business can't adapt, then it will fail. MG made great little sports car back in the 60's and 70's that filled a NICHE. where are they now? did they "stay true" to their core market? While everyone was going to big muscle cars, there weren't enough folks buying the compact sporty car to sustain it's bottom line.

what can I say, welcome to the free market.

Hey babe....don't take it so personal...unless you are married to one of the Sub execs....

what recall did subaru do?...thats the point....they haven't done jack ***************

......this from the manufacturer of the cars I love

Homerun ehhh....would love to take a wager on that one...bet you thought the same re: the XT

right....

no OTHER car manufacturer has any kind of 'recalls'

or issues right?

every other car manufacturer is perfect...

what a joke! ahahaa :D

Subaru is one of the highest ranked in realibity and dependability.

IMHO

thisB9 is very nice.

and will sell very well.

it's not meant for the current subaru owner.

but there is an entirely new market of subaru owners

about to enter our realm

this car in it's class is a good $10-15k less than it's competitors

i'd say subaru's probably hit a homerun with this one

but time will tell.

Subaru tried this departure from thier core customers in the early 90s too with the advent of the first Legacy and Imprezzas. I believe there was a statement from SOA to the effect of "You can't out Camary toyota". It was only when they started the "outback" line that the sales of the newer subes took off. This proved that people (like me) who like the oddball cars that subaru builds are the ones that keep the lights on at SOA.

WHAT?

The Legacy built on some long standing Subaru traits:

Permanent 4WD

Real, if basic, off-roading ability

Boxer engine

Frameless windows

Weak synchromesh on 3rd gear in the manual transmission ;-)

Turbocharging

Oh yeah, and absolutely impeccable build quality !!

I grant you that it did break traditions with:

Sluggish acceleration

Rust prone bodies

Stodgy handling

Guest Vickaroo

Gotta give it time not everyone was crazy about the Baja. I wasnt crazy about it but I grew to dig it... but at first look I dont like the Tribeca but Ill have to see it on the floor and go from there. Man is affraid of new things and we try to kill it before we get to know it..... :brow: Vicky

a short summary of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (in effect since 1969): "a vehicle exterior lighting system must be operable to make vehicle conspicious on the road.......at all times" (ignition on OR off).

Since Subaru has chosen to wire headlamp/marker lamp circuit thru igniton side of electrical system (supposedly to PREVENT leaving lights on after vehicle is shut down), the switch is required---to make marker lamps operable with ignition off. What I don't understand is why Subaru insists on locating the switch there.

Thanks. I like the fact it turns off the lights when the car is turned off. Not that I ever left my lights on, but when you stop to get gas or something it's just cool.

My 74 Beetle would turn off the headlights when the car was turned off.

Firstly let me say hello to you all.

About the looks of this new B9 Tribeca:

It all started when Subaru hired former designer of Alfa-Romeo Andreas Zapakintas. If you look at the photos of Tribeca's rear end you cannot miss the resemblance to Alfa-Romeo cars. Here is a picture of 156 Alfa:

156_b.jpg

and a rear image of Tribeca:

subaru_b9_tribeca.JPG

Well what can I say? Pictures are one thing reality is another. I hope that this tribeca would come to Europe any time soon so that I can check it out in person.

Well that's about it for my first post.

Kind regards from Europe.

SubaruFreak

I'm certain that if you buy one of these everyone is going to ask you how you like your new KIA.

Still, maybe there are enough lesbians and nutless bicycle riders out there to actually make this offering viable.

(sorry, I just had to dig deep in my search for reason.)

Juan

Hey, I happen to be a lesbian trapped in a man's body, and I ride bicycles. I find that statement offensive, seeing as I think the Tribeca is an ugly pointless SUV. My opinion wouldn't be as concrete if it had a manual tranny with dual range to back up the H6. I have posted too many times in previous threads my objections, so I aint gonna do it in this one.

Well, I gotta weigh in and say that THIS lesbian won't be going after a Tribeca. :brow: I agree, it looks like a Kia. (oh, and I'm also a bicycle nut... and a nutless bicycle rider! hee hee!:) )

I really liked my dual range 86 GL. Do ya think Subaru would ever bring back dual range? Gotta have manual trans. What's the fun of a boxer if you can't shift it?

You go K. :drunk:

The front end takes a strong stomach, but I dig the body style. Don't know if it's powerful or not, but I'd like to drive it before I bag it. . .

Probably though, I'd way rather have the one that Nissan makes that looks just like it. :lol:

WHAT?

The Legacy built on some long standing Subaru traits:

Permanent 4WD

Real, if basic, off-roading ability

Boxer engine

Frameless windows

Weak synchromesh on 3rd gear in the manual transmission ;-)

Turbocharging

Oh yeah, and absolutely impeccable build quality !!

I grant you that it did break traditions with:

Sluggish acceleration

Rust prone bodies

Stodgy handling

I realize that I will be outnumbered here, and also I admit that I am biased because the only subaru I have owned is an 86 GL, but I must disagree (in part). With the Legacy, (and its important to note that I was talking about the first, "pre Outback" cars) Subaru most certainly did not build on thier off road capability. The first legacy was a regression. I am not aware of any Legacy in the US that was offered with 4wd. They are all AWD. Also, Legacies here did not come with a Dual Range transmision if I am not mistaken. That set up (single range AWD) is far inferior, as far as off road capabilites than the dual range 4WD available on the earlier Subes. And even if the AWD without a low gear can pull you through some mud and snow, it is doubtfull if you will make it through with out busting up the plastic valance below the front or back bumper.

Also, I thought that the turbo Legacy was only offered one year (again reffering to the pre-outback legacy).

While an old legacy is quicker than most of the Boxy subarus I'm afraid that Legacies do in fact carry on the tradition of "sluggish acceleration". In high school I routinely blew the doors off of my friend's 91 Legacy in my Dad's Mazda mini-van.

Now, my intention here was not to harp on what bad cars I think Legacies are, because I don't think that they are bad. The turbos are very cool and the fact that some of the cars were available with the pnuematic ride height adjustment is also cool (it would be cooler if those airbags weren't so expensive to fix; but this is certainly not a problem unique to the legacy). I was setting out to back up my first post that the early Legacies were Subaru's attempt to sell thier cars to mainstream buyers. The first Legacies looked like "normal" cars. Their rear ends do not stick up in the air like the old 4wd Subes. They are not boxy and quirky. They look like they could have been the love child of a Camary and an Accord. When this marketing attempt failed, they dressed up the Legacy to enhance its quirky, offroadable car lineage by doing things like putting big fog lights on the front, adding a bit of ground clearance and putting white letter tires on the cars to make them look more "rugged". This is the image that most people are buying when they buy Subarus now, but if you look back at the early 90s, this image was not being pushed. Even the Loyale, the last of the quirky traditional subes was toned down. No more white wagon wheels, instead, conservative hubcaps or stylish alloys.

Again, this is just my relatively uninformed opinon.

-Jack

View All of the Photos **click here**

We got a handful of the 5-seater B9 Tribeca's today

white, black, beige?cream colored....

car is not EVEN as big as it looks in photos.

LOCALS....

if you get the chance, you should come and see em before they're gone.

I do believe these all may be pre-sold... so hurry.

subaru-b9-tribeca-001.jpg

cupholder/center console - pretty slick :D

subaru-b9-tribeca-cupholder.jpg

subaru-b9-tribeca-cuphold1.jpg

gauges....

subaru-b9-tribeca-gauges1.jpg

lights...

subaru-b9-tribeca-light.jpg

car is different for Subaru. but i dont think they're going to have a problem selling them :)

shout with questions.

Jamie

www.subiegal.com

Just looked back a subiegal's pictures. Gosh, if they'd raised the headlights even higher they could've made that wannabe Alfa Romeo grill even bigger!

Can't wait to actually see one on the road. I mean they can't be as ugly in real life as they are in pictures.

Can they?