Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Outback wagon drive train problem

I have a 1995 Outback with a manual trans and AWD. Lately when I have driven the car for a while and then try to make a low speed sharp turn, as into parking space, the drive train seems to lock up. It acts normally if I only drive a few minutes before parking. So far I have read that this is probably due to a bad viscous coupling. But there seems to be some variation on the theme as to where it is located, if it can be fixed or must be replaced, if it can be done with the trans in the car, where you can buy one and what one costs. And is there any easy test to make sure the VC is the problem. Any chance it could invole the brakes?

If any of you have been throught this I would appreciate any insight you can provide

The viscous couplin is on the manual tranny and yes you have to get a new one. A subaru rebuilt tranny may b the best way to go. However, Have you tried synthetic fluid? How many miles on the unit?

Thanks for the feedback. I was led to understand that the VC has its own silicone fulid and it is self contained, so that the transaxle/tranny fluid has no bearing on the VC. I did change the tranny/tranaxle oil and that had no effect really. Not sure if I would gain anything by using synthetic unless I have been given bad info about all this.

If I fix it at all I'm leaning toward just replacing the VC which I guess is a dealer only item. Do you know if this can be done without removing the tranny? Someone told me you just have to take out the tail shaft. The car has 160,000. I bought it used 2 1/2 years ago for 3000.00 so I'm not going to put a whole lot into it. I also just may drive it as is for as long as I can. Any ideas where I can get info on how to do the job if I decide to go that route.

Thanks

Frank

I also had the same issue with a 95 legacy wagon. Had the part replaced by the dealer in '02. They did not have to pull the tranny. Cost about $775 to have it done but I have had no issues since. I would suggest that if you get it done to make sure your tires are all the same size, so you don't destroy the new part right away. If you don't get it done expect to replace cv joints on a regular basis because it's very hard on them.

I currently have the same problem with my '93 LSI Subaru wagon with automatic transmission. When I experienced the problem with my '87 (?) wagon, Subaru used an additive that cured the problem. Perhaps the '87 drivetrain was different (---it was manual) - but I can't help but wonder if there is an additive out there that might help? Until then, I avoid hard turns and acceleration at slow speeds - such as you encounter in a parking lot situation - and especially when backing up. It seems that, at slow enough speeds, and using shallower turns, the viscous coupling works OK.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, Subaru also recently washed their hands of my current problem and suggested that I contact an independent mechanic.

For the record, my 3-cyl Subaru Justy, with manual transmission, was the most trouble-free Subaru I've ever owned - and I bought all of the cars new.