Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans swap

I am just wondering if it is possible to put a 5 speed (possibly dual range) trans from a 88 wagon in an 81 BRAT. i don't have the details for anything yet but may have the chance to do it. if I could what would i need for things like drive shafts, clutch or any modifactions i would need to do.

Thanks

mexiburger

I am just wondering if it is possible to put a 5 speed (possibly dual range) trans from a 88 wagon in an 81 BRAT. i don't have the details for anything yet but may have the chance to do it. if I could what would i need for things like drive shafts, clutch or any modifactions i would need to do.

Thanks

mexiburger

I don't want to be mean, but have you tried doing a search?

It is a popular swap. I plan on doing it shortly to my new-to-me 82 Brat. The Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual has a writeup on what is involved, and there are many threads in the Old Generation forum that talks about this. The USRM article is:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=37

I can't figure out how to get Search to work right much of the time, and for 10 years I was responsible for a search-engine...

Does it matter that the brat is still the old body style? will everything fit up the same? i was thinking about doing this in my 79 wagon...

your 79 wagon will have a EA71 engine which has a different bellhousing then the EA81 & EA82.