Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could this work?

Check out this site: http://www.mattracks.com/

Can you imagine what kind of capabilites a subaru would have with those installed? There would be almost no ground pressure, especially since subarus weigh a lot less than the vehicles the tracks are designed for.

It should be relatively easy to mount those tracks to a subaru if you converted to a toyota/isuzu/nissan/chevy... 6-bolt lug pattern. I already have BIG plans. I want to get a beat-up ea81 wagon, strip it down, mount the tracks, and go over the snow. I am even contemplating the idea of starting up a business hauling skiers and snowboarders around in the mountains near Haines for a fraction of the price of heli-skiing operations that go to the same areas.

It would be ultimate job to get PAID to offroad a subaru.:headbang:

Didn't you see the quads running the track? I think the one thing that might keep this from working, is our high gear ratios....but man that would be fun too play with. I wonder how much they cost....i know they aren't cheap.....im calling them to find out.

It's not like I would want to go very fast. The tracks are only rated for 40 mph anyway. I think the performance will be about equal to that of a utility snowmachine (i.e.: goes everywhere, just might take a while to get there). My dad has a utility sled that makes less than 30 hp, turning one track and moving around 600 pounds. A subaru would be turning 4 tracks to move 2500 pounds with 90 hp (slightly modified). I think it would work out okay. If it's horribly underpowered, just swap in a modified EA82T.

Let me know if you find out the cost. I was going to call, but if you are...

im not talking about high speed, i am talking about initially getting the tracks moving, and keeping them moving going through thick stuff like mud and some types of snow.....I still think there is a great chance that it could work....Or at least i hope there is a chance, cause i want some!!!

Yea, and check out the specs. The added weight is 1,340 to 1,610lbs. Thats half what the car weighs. Recommended GVW is over 10K. If you think the ATV setup can be adapted to a Soob, then go for it. Somebody else checked into this last year, and found out the price was quite high.

Rob

I want to get some specs on both the truck kit and the ATV kit to find out which one would work better for this application. Wow, 1,300 pounds! The ATV ones must be much lighter, and should be able to handle the weight of a soob. Actually, the 4x140 lug pattern is common on four-wheelers (one time I bolted up a subaru donut spare on my four-wheeler). The only real issue with the ATV tracks is their smaller size, which could lead to too much ground pressure for going in deep snow. And yeah, they are expensive, but it would be pretty sweet, and if my plan would work out, I could pay them off in one season easy. They apparently do custom jobs as well, and could maybe produce an ATV kit with larger tracks for more floatation.

It might be possible to lighten up the track frames as well. They are designed for big heavy trucks that can weigh three times what a subaru does. It would just take some ingenuity.

I'm the one that looked into this last year;) The weight of them is not that big a deal, and at that time they said that they could make me a set of the "little foot" ATV traks with bigger tracks on them & the Subaru lug patern. They give U a 20% gear reduction when U bolt them on due to the drive sporcket being so much smaller than even the little 13" stock tires. So gearing/power is not an issue.( and if U have a DR5spd that would make it even better) Price is the big problem$$$$$$$$$$ BUT, if U can pony up the cash U would have one unstopable Sube!

I need to know more about the ATV wheel on a soob, vice verca thing. I will start a new thred.

$9,000 for a used set is steep, but for my purposes is still viable since this would be a commercial operation if all goes well. It just sucks that I have to wait until I'm out of college to do this, but I could begin the project any time I suppose. Half the reason I would want to do this is to see the looks on the snowmobilers' faces when I roll up next to them on top of snow covered mountains with a subaru. Hell yeah!:headbang:

I think I'll give them a call and ask about more detailed specs and stuff. The main issue now aside from cost (it just is weird to buy a car for a few hundred dollars and spend $9000 on aftermarket goodies) seems to be the ground pressure, since where I would take this thing has snow that can get 15 feet deep in places. Hence, you want as little ground pressure as posible.

It does seem quite viable and possibly lucrative.