Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update: Spotted: XT6 AWD ... Q's

Was at the Junkyard today getting an electric condensor fan motor for the 91 Accord. First time at this U-Pull yard... (They told me on the phone they didn't have Subies...) and OH WHAT A SELECTION! They have a Gen 1 brat with a high roll bar and jump seats still in it! (Would this fit in our Gen 2 Brat??) (Update: YellowSub got the gen 1 brat.)

Anyway! I spotted a gorgeous looking XT-6 All Time AWD '88 or '89 .. It's in their "Incoming" yard.. So I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.. Going to go look at it tomarrow. I asked how much they wanted for it and they said $500 but they don't know the condition it's in. I'm going to go inspect it after work tomarrow. I definately want an XT in our "fleet" ... I was hoping everyone could throw in some input about things I should look for being wrong / broken / good / bad / etc. Also, how hard are these to work on ?? They said they have the title .. but I don't know if it's a salvage title or whatever... what's the most I should pay before just walking away? Thanks!

The Brat stuff should fit a Gen 2 but dont take my word 100%.

The XT6, well if they dont know the condition of it I wonder why their asking $500? If its got a blown engine (check for a bad HG or Timing Belt), I would say less - maybe $300. In your parts its going to be hard to find parts for it. Altho you have all the goodies there for the 5 lug swap :brow: Add up all the parts at their cost if you were to pull all the parts, and then what they would take for the whole car and go from there. A salvage title is ok.

Okay. Looked at the Xt6 Today. Oh Baby I want this car. All Time All Wheel Drive. Push Button Diff Locker. (No Digi Dash). 5 Speed. Electronic Controlled Air Adjustable Ride Height. ER27 looks to be in good condition. Oil smells like Oil. Coolant smells like coolant. Don't see any major oil leaks. exhaust looks okay. Engine has compression (didnt do a compression check) and turns over. Wont start. Fuel? Timing? Not sure. Mechanic at the yard thinks timing belt. Power windows work. Power mirrors Work. Needs a little interior work and a little exterior work. Clean (not salvage) New Mexico title. Front inner cv boots are WRECKED.. Original radio in car. No noticeable rust. Nice sun roof. One tire is crapped. Other 3 hold air. Talked them down to $400 so far.. damn yards.. I would like everyone input and suggestions.. especially about the price I should try to get it for. Thanks!

From your description of the car now, I would say jump on it before its gone! $400 is an acceptable price for one in this condition. Hopefully the problem is obvious when you get it home, sometimes XT6's can be a bear to troubleshoot :rolleyes:

My neighbor has an XT-6 with plates expired two years ago, sitting under cover in another building where I live. Now, I think I'll go make an offer, or at least look at the thing. I liked the options I read about here, sound interesting. My wife will say: why don't you get the wagon running first! he he! (Yeah, right!):lol:

i have a 89 xt6 with all those options get it. it took 2 hrs to completly drop the transmission on mine when i replaced the clutch

over all it is very easy to do work on and very fun to drive

if you don't take it email me and i'll come get it

definitely get that car, i'd pick it up if i were you. likely an easy fix. even if you spent 500 putting in another motor or trans you'd have a great, reliable car for under 1,000 that's a smoking deal (but you shouldn't have to spend that). VERY possible it's something simple - one common mistake of mechanics is they install the timing belts wrong and the car turns over but wont' start. they assume it's a *bent valve* or something and quote large repair costs and the owner decides to junk it. pull the timing covers (You'll only need a 10mm wrench and maybe a screw drive to help pry the covers off to have a look). only need to remove the left and right timing covers, the come right off without removing anything else. look at the cam sprockets (the large notched pulleys on the far left and right), you'll see them right under the timing covesr. they have a small mark on the face of them, sometimes hard to see in poor light or if they're dirty - a small half inch square sort of on the outer perimeter of the face. the marks should be 180 DEGREES OUT OF PHASE - in other words if one side is at noon - the other side should be at 6 oclock. if one side is at 3 oclock the other should be at 9oclock. mechanics sometimes install them THE SAME WAY because they don't know - in other words the timing belts are both at the same spot on the cams - the notch on each cam with be at 3 oclock. if that's the case you only have to reinstall the passenger side belt and drive off a great vehicle. (installing t-belt wrong won't damage an XT6 motor). you can also pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns when the engine turns - if not the timing belt is broke on that side. but that won't tell you if the other timing belt (passengers side is broke), though it's normally the drivers side that breaks first.

could be a bad ground - attach wire or jumper cables from negative terminal of battery to ground wire on the engine - there's one by the oil cap that i tyipcally use. a bad ground will allow the engine to turn over but not enough to start, seen that happen. the bad ground wire will get really hot, but since there are multiple wires that's hard to find, best to just give it good ground and try.

also - see if the ECU in the trunk is flashing any codes. if it's flashing anthing other than 3 quick flashes then it has a code that could be preventing it from starting - like water temp sensor (a 21). pop the trunk and look up top under where the speakers are. . you'll see a flashing light (with the key in the ON position). after trying to start see if it gives any codes.

WELL actually, we came inches from getting this AWESOME house on 4 acres with a two car garage, but little did we know that when somebody checks your credit your score goes down, so we didn't qualify for a loan...but! the place is STILL for sale, so maybe it was a GOOD thing we didn't get it..maybe not, the place was sweet...i'm trailing off here. We live together so, no garage or yard for us, yet. I'm going to bed.

jess

WELL actually, we came inches from getting this AWESOME house on 4 acres with a two car garage, but little did we know that when somebody checks your credit your score goes down, so we didn't qualify for a loan...but! the place is STILL for sale, so maybe it was a GOOD thing we didn't get it..maybe not, the place was sweet...i'm trailing off here. We live together so, no garage or yard for us, yet. I'm going to bed.

jess

That sucks. Sorry to hear about the credit thing. Something else will come along :)

Update: There was some title issues.. Had to get a sheriffs deputy to come do a level one inspection on the XT-6 so the title could get transferred to Arizona. Looks like we're gonna get it though.. They also have a Gen 1 Brat in their salvage lot that YellowSub wants to try and get for a parts car for her brat. They said they want like $300 for it though... is this a reasonable price?? Someone took the rear diff and muffler... disty.. maybe a couple other things... they take the gas tanks out. but the tank is in the bed.. It has a high roll bar.. and jump seats.. and a front pushbar (not "A" style) ... ea71 motor.. tranny.. rear driveline is there but may be damaged. All glass is good except windshield.. couple extra rear windows in the bed.. but I dont think they are for the brat... head lights are good.. i THINK the tail lights are good.. $300 seems like kind of a lot when they will take $400 for the XT-6.. this is what I hate about junk yards.. I'm hoping if I can just show them $600 in cash they will be happy and let me take them both. YellowSub is even willing to let us keep the XT6 in her yard!!! Wooo!!!