Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water and Oil Don't Mix

Motor got HOT! Water in the Oil! Cracked head? Cracked Block or just a blown head gasket? No steam out the tailpipe, just pressure in the radiator and steam blowby from the valve cover to the carb. What do you think?...

Sounds like you have warped the head or blown out the head gasket ( or both ). If you can, do a compression check on the cylinders and just take off the head thats leaking. You can get the heads x-ray'd to show weaknesses then for only a few $ you will know if your head is dead.

This motor is in my 1978 4X4 wagon. A EA71 1600. Bought the car cheap and replaced the head gasket but failed to check to see if the head was warped before I re-installed it (dumb move on my part). So now I think I'm just going to replace the head! Good thing I have a half dozen or so. Hope this will solve my problem. These EA71 motors are supposed to be bullet proof!

What motor is this?

These EA71 motors are supposed to be bullet proof!

they ARE bullet proof... they just don't like YOU!:-p :lol:

seriously though... before you go replace the head get your replacement head checked to avoid a repleat... and change your oil...:rolleyes: