Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch question

ok finished resealing my motor today and bolted it back in was just getting ready to hook up all the hoses and whatnot adn noticed my clutch wasnt working like it should. when you push on the fork it just seems to sit there and not have the usual spring back. now i didnt loosen the cables at all when i took out the motor so i shouldnt have to tighten the cables but they still seem to be fitting loose, im curious if putting the clutch disk in backwards might make these symtoms. im not sure if i did since i was tired when i bolted it back on and forgot to check the direction it was in. if i can help it i would really like to avoid pulling it back out to fix this. any advice would be greatly appreciated , even if its not the answer i wanna hear lol

also is there supposed to be a spring on the top of the clutch fork? if there is i seem to have lost it.

if you put the clutch disc in backwards you wouldnt be able to bolt the pressure plate onto the flywheel, sounds like you forgot to reconnect the hillholder, if you have one, or maybe the fork-return spring that is attached to the fork and tranny. those are my guesses.

~Josh~

yeah i found out about the clutch disk when i pulled it back out yesterday, well put it all together and adjusted the cables and drove for not even a miles worth of driving and the damn clutch ************ out on me!!!! well this piece of ************ is gonna sit in the driveway till i decide what im gonna do with it! im tired of working on the damn thing

yeah i found out about the clutch disk when i pulled it back out yesterday, well put it all together and adjusted the cables and drove for not even a miles worth of driving and the damn clutch ************ out on me!!!! well this piece of ************ is gonna sit in the driveway till i decide what im gonna do with it! im tired of working on the damn thing

Dude, sorry to hear your having such a hard time! Sounds like your gonna stop and take a needed breath.

Now, the clutch did what exactly after not even a miles worth of driving?

And what did you find before that when you pulled it back out?

Yea, sometimes it's best to walk a way for a while. When things are going in a string of bad for me, I tend to get too pixxed off and tend to want to destroy things. (but then I'm a nut, I trust you have better control over yourself)

Actually it sounds like your close to your objective. Which I take is a decent running street car. Probably not a good idea to make any descisions (like dynamite) when your way frustrated.

Good luck,

Pyro

believe me im not a whole lot better on restraint i had to seriously hold back from putting my tire iron through the front windshield.

as for what it did i noticed at idle after a cpl mins it started to make a funky noise that i cant really describe , then when i had lightly popped the clutch in reverse in 4 hi on my gravel driveway it suddenly made another noise and stuck in reverse the only way i could stop was to turn off the car. and the only way i could put it from reverse to 1st so i could get it out of the way was to change the gear with the car off and then crank it with it in gear and to stop i had to turn it back off since the clutch pedal wouldnt do crap. and yes the cables are still connected.

sounds like you DO have the disk in backwards..the pressure plate CAN be bolted down with the clutch in backwards the pressure plate spring will look wrong but sometimes not wrong enough to really notice when your tired and it's late..with the clutch in backwards the clutch hub will rub on the flywheel bolts and make very nasty sounds..to verify pop your hood and see if you can move the clutch fork towards the firewall by hand..this a sure sign that the pressure plate is past the release point and something is preventing it from engaging properly, usually the clutch disk in backwards..

poormanzimpreza i had pulled the motor back out the next day and unbolted all the clutch stuff to double check it all and granted i didnt see anything to tell which ay was the flywheel side on it, but just 2 see i tried it the other way and it wouldnt stay at all so i put it back the way it was.

it will go towards the firewall the problem it is not wanting to come back very far from that direction and now im betting i cooked the clutch. all i know is im getting tired of messing with this car, im fixing to start a 12 hour day 7 day a week job so i am really not gonna have the time to keep screwing around with this thing.if it keeps costing me money im just gonna drop it on an s10 frame with a 4.3 and be done with it. i swear i never had any probs with previous soobs till i got this car and the sad part is it was mint condition other than a siezed motor

well nobody else bother to respond to this thread unless they want to help the next owner with this car because im done with it.

went out to look at it today and when i cranked it up i noticed the crank pulley and flywheel were wobbling, they are both tight so im thinking crank bearings now. only wierd thing though is that it is running whisper quiet otherwise so i dont know either way im done with this. im gonna put in the marketplace as soon as i get the pics of it uploaded, its gonna be $600 firm or non subaru trade that runs and drives good (NO FORDS)ill put all the details in the marketplace post in about 15 mins, thanks for the help all u guys