Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 Fuel Pumps?

Gravityman

In an attempt to turbocharge or supercharge an XT6 has anyone tried to wire up two XT6 fuel pumps in parallel to increase fuel flow. I know doing this is a poor excuse for more fuel flow, but mabe with the correct modifications ie. fuel control, MS, RRFPR, something to that affect could call for more fuel flow. Is it plausable?

The older Turbo volvos use a dual pump system. One smaller one in the tank feeds a larger one under the car. Its an interesting set up at best. More often than not, The in tank pump is pulled and replaced with a walbro 255LPH (same one that is popular for the WRX) and the second pump is simply bypassed. i did this to mine and the fuel flow is substantially better now.

IMO, 2 pumps are simply more trouble than they are worth

What if you seperate the pumps and have each one run one side of the engine? ie pump 1 runs cyl 1, 3, 5 and pump 2 run 2, 4, 6 then have them meet at a common fuel pressure regulator. Crazy? There would be no real differance in line routing, only diff is instead of a line splicing off of the original fuel line you would cap it off and run the second pump line with its own filter and damper.

What do ya think?

Sure thats possible.. May even work ok. However, if you are going to all the trouble to turbo an ER27, I would think that you would want to keep things as simple and efficient as possible. That way when its all together and the troubleshooting stage begins (and yes, there will be trouble.. there always is) You would have fewer components to troubleshoot.

Whats the PSI and GPH on an XT6 fuel pump anyway/?

My chilton claims between 61-71 psi.

I agree it would be easier to go with one, but I would imagine that if the proper precaution were taken ie. inline fuel pressure guage for each pump would help substantiate most fuel tuning problems that would lie in the pump.

screw dual pumps, you are opening more cans of worms that need not be opened, use one really good pump like a wallbro 255 LPH pump, done. you will need a new fuel pres. regulator anyway with turboing you car, and maybe your injectors will run out of "headroom" and cause a loss in power beyond a certain rpm, lots of things to think about when turbo-ing a N/A motor that wasnt meant to be turbocharged. just ask WJM on his fuel probs......he'll tell ya.

~Josh~