Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little story for those with cloth seats.

So back in 1991 I bought a 1978 (I think, it was many many eons ago) station wagon. It was subaru orange, fwd, and had crazy plaid cloth seats.

After an engine swap (just a 1.6 for an actually running 1.6) I drove it for about almost a year. Then the cloth in the drivers seat started to tear. So I started yanking on the drivers seat cloth. What do I see? Brand Freaking NEW BLACK VINYL!!!!!! I proceed to yank all the cloth off all the seats I had BRAND NEW SEATS!!!!!!!!!

It was awesome.

The only damaged seats were the drivers since it did have 180ish K in miles.

But the rest of the seats were brand freaking new. It was amazing how nice every seat was. The plaid seating took a serious beating and kept all the damage away from the seats.

Oh yeah, it also protected the doors! My interior basically looked 95% new.

But then since it had no engine my wife had it towed and crushed.

What a shame! I had a '79 that I modified to fit an EA81 w/4spd hi-lo 4x4 and it wasn't to hard to do. Sold it to a friend for his daughter. My parents were original owners and I sold it at 370,000 mi. It is now over 400,000 mi and still going strong. Awesome riggs those old soobies! I now have an '82 Brat.

My '79 4wd wagon had the plaid interior just like you describe. I realized it had the vinal underneath it when I was pulling them in favor of "new" vinal seats. I proceeded to tear apart the plaid until it was all off. Didn't look too bad but it had mold/mildew growing in the foam so I decided it would be best to burn the seats and take the leftover scrap metal to the scrapyard. But I still got nice vinal seats from a '78 wagon with 73,000 miles:eek:

WAIT! are you all saying that my brat may have nice vinyl seats under my ugly plaid seats!?! i don't think so... there is a big tear in one and all i see if foam... luckily i have my RACING seat covers...:rolleyes: