Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I replace the instrument panel bulb myself? 97 leg out

Hello - this looks like a great forum. I love my subaru and it has been problem free so far. I'm hoping a little expertise from someone else could save me some dough.

One of my instrument panel lightbulbs has gone out on my 97 subaru legacy outback. (My husband caused a little short over the weekend when messing with the stereo, which blew the fuse and, we believe, the bulb. The fuse has already been replaced.)

I just called the nearby dealership and they are estimating that they will charge me $100+ to change this bulb.....

Is this something I can do myself? I'm fairly handy and can follow instructions, but have never done this before. Would it be worth it to try, or just to hand it (and my $) over to them?

Advice appreciated,

emlizmue

Thanks - actually one of those is out, but I must have misspoke. The bulb I am most concerned about is the dash lights for the speedometer, etc.

Do you have a tutorial for those as well?

Thanks

emlizmue,

Check out the following:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=91

Involved but doable.

Enjoy.

It wasn't that hard to get out of my '96 Legacy.

Biggest thing is loosening the two bolts that hold the steering column up to the dash. Take the plastic panels off from under the steering column, and you'll see them. I loosened one until it came out of the the threads, then put it back in about 2-3 turns. Then I back the other one out the same amount.

This keeps them in there and is easier than trying to reinstall them after you are done.

There were screws on the upper side of my instrument panel holding it in. Not sure if the outback is different.

Check your local library for a maintenance book.

I have a steering column with adjustable height, so I just had to set it to the lowest position. Then remove four screws retaining the black plastic trim piece around the cluster, then remove four screws retaining the cluster. Do yourself a favor and remove the clear plastic thing that keeps dust off of the gauges before trying to clear the steering wheel. It takes under half an hour.