Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tell me about dealing with CCR

I've tried leaving phone messages and email to CCR, and never gotten a reply.

On my recommendation based on what I found here, my mechanic in Berkeley did reach them by phone (he said with considerable difficulty getting them to return calls) and ordered a replacement transmission for my 1988 GL dual range manual 4wd wagon (SPFI).

He got CCR's transmission, put it in, and -- it didn't match. He just phoned -- they sent a turbo transmission.

Now, I'm glad I paid him 20 percent extra to be the one to make the order himself and deal with CCR. He's not -- he's eating all the labor cost of this now.

There isn't time to swap with CCR for the right transmission -- I have kids coming in for a once a year family trip. He's going back to Plan A, getting a used Japanese transmission locally that he can put in this week, so I'll have the car usable.

I hate this. I need to know what to expect now.

So -- please tell me about dealing with CCR. Problems I expect; how a company deals with them is what's critical to reputation, and I don't see anything said about that here. So I'm asking.

Bottom line is -- Buying a transmission for a 1988 manual GL 4wd wagon -- the shop here was careful to say that they did NOT order a "turbo" transmission -- you don't expect to receive a turbo transmission -- right?

hate to hear this. CCR posts here as well and so we may hear from them. they have been very helpful to me in the past and i have never had problems contacting them. everyone and anyone makes mistakes. if something isn't talked about much it could be because it doesn't happen much. i've definitely heard of issues with JDM engines and transmissions, so i wouldn't consider them the holy grail of mail order.

if you didn't place the order, it is speculation that it is CCR's mistake. if that happened to me (which it wouldnt because i'd do the install myself), but if it did i'd suspect the mechanic first and i wouldn't believe him if he told me he ordered the right one!!! sort of a joke, since we know how mechanics are, but you get the point. i think 99 percent of board members would agree that we see more problems with mechanics than any other part of the supply/repair chain.

again, sorry to hear of your bad timing. protect yourself in the future - if timing is an issue and this was known about in advance then it may have served you better to allow more time for such a big repair. you can generally get parts quicker locally. you can also get parts cheaper and better quality if you source and know what you're doing, but that also takes time for research, contacting and shipping. when i want cheap or quality parts i order exactly what i want and expect more time. if i'm in a crunch for a part i get it locally, paying more but i get it within my time constraints.

good luck and i hope this works out for you

I will keep my coments about CCR off the USMB.

as for your satement about the mechanic being at fault more often than a rebuilder? well I have to take that personally. as an example. I have installed a few dealer supplied rebuilt trannys on both ford and GM trucks at work. I installed them as directed by the dealer info (cooler flushing. extra in line filters ect.)

now I have had three fail and come back. they were covered under the dealers waranty as all three were determined to be defective by the dealership. parts and labor provided by them on the second transmission.

now I would think a dealership would sell a quality rebuilt prouduct. It bothers my that they are not.

at the end of the day the customer still thinks that the problem is my fault as I was the one who initally installed the reman part.

so back off the mechanics. let the rebuilders take thier share of the blame if they in fact made a mistake.

hate to hear this. CCR posts here as well and so we may hear from them. they have been very helpful to me in the past and i have never had problems contacting them. everyone and anyone makes mistakes. if something isn't talked about much it could be because it doesn't happen much. i've definitely heard of issues with JDM engines and transmissions, so i wouldn't consider them the holy grail of mail order.

if you didn't place the order, it is speculation that it is CCR's mistake. if that happened to me (which it wouldnt because i'd do the install myself), but if it did i'd suspect the mechanic first and i wouldn't believe him if he told me he ordered the right one!!! sort of a joke, since we know how mechanics are, but you get the point. i think 99 percent of board members would agree that we see more problems with mechanics than any other part of the supply/repair chain.

again, sorry to hear of your bad timing. protect yourself in the future - if timing is an issue and this was known about in advance then it may have served you better to allow more time for such a big repair. you can generally get parts quicker locally. you can also get parts cheaper and better quality if you source and know what you're doing, but that also takes time for research, contacting and shipping. when i want cheap or quality parts i order exactly what i want and expect more time. if i'm in a crunch for a part i get it locally, paying more but i get it within my time constraints.

good luck and i hope this works out for you

you're taking something personal that wasn't personal. no finger pointing has taken place. comments like "backoff" are useless, discussion boards are built on opinions not commands.

i'm suggesting to be objective and logical about the problem. i'm not interested in debating our oppinions. this is a big concern for Hank and it will only help him to be rational about the problem. i saw no confirmation other than "the mechanic said". he didn't offer any info on this mechanic, random shop or someone he's known for 23 years. he can pick and choose from the oppinions posted. i'm only trying to be objective.

I've been on both sides of the mechanic situation, and I can see both sides. But I would agree that more information should be acquired before making assumptions.

As far as JDM goes, Berkeley/Emeryville area has many local importers, so it really isn't a "mail-order" situation there. Since I do my own wrenching, I never hesitated to go JDM import, as if there was a problem it was just a little of my time and a revisit to the importer.

Regarding "turbo" transmission, IIRC the only significant fitment difference is the DOJ spline size/count. And I might think it cheaper to upgrade to the more robust axles than to R&R the tranny.

Regardless, it would be helpful to have a few more facts.

CCR had a little delay from their parts suppliers in building my engine, but communicated well and let me know what was going on every step of the way. Very easy to deal with.

The local office for the freight hauling company on the other hand... they've had my engine since Friday and still haven't done jack with it. :banghead:

But, that has nothing to do with CCR, so I'll say no more about it.

I have to admit, I am a bit confused. In half of your posts, you refer to your car as a turbo, in the other half, you refer to it as SPFI.. In a few, you refer to it as an SPFI turbo.

Given that fact alone, I would venture to guess that no one is exactly sure whats is being ordered for what car.

As was stated above, a turbo transmission fits into a non turbo car just fine. Only real difference in fitment is the spline count on the front axles.

I think there is information missing here:-\

I have dealt with CCR, and I have had absolutely no problem with them. My standards are kinda high, BTW.

I would withhold judgement until you had a chance to discuss the situation with Emily. There are many things that could have gone wrong, including information from the car owner - or the mechanic doing the work. If the rebuilder screwed up, I would expect them to correct their mistake, based on their excellent reputation.

good luck, John

Well, from the garage -- CCR returned their call and promises to send a return freight authorization for the turbo transmission, and take it back. Seems like they've agreed the mistake happened. The mechanic here says he may buy from them again, won't burn any bridges. But given the doubt about what they shipped, I doubt either the garage or CCR could warranty this misidentified tranny before checking it carefully for other errors if any.

He says CCR told him they can't send the right transmission -- they don't have one in stock, and for CCR to refurbish my old transmission, it'd take 3 weeks including turnaround shipping. Makes sense for a home rebuilder, but not for a business that needs all its bays kept busy.

The garage got the right model used transmission in already today, from a used-Japanese source, and they're putting it in now.

Crossing fingers it all works.

you're taking something personal that wasn't personal. no finger pointing has taken place. comments like "backoff" are useless, discussion boards are built on opinions not commands.

i'm suggesting to be objective and logical about the problem. i'm not interested in debating our oppinions. this is a big concern for Hank and it will only help him to be rational about the problem. i saw no confirmation other than "the mechanic said". he didn't offer any info on this mechanic, random shop or someone he's known for 23 years. he can pick and choose from the oppinions posted. i'm only trying to be objective.

just saying I am in that one percent of people who would trust a fellow mechanic the same as a parts supplyer. It would be rational not to jump to conclusions.. no? I have worked in the supply part of the market and as a mechanic so I think I would see both sides of the debate.

I am not trying to start any arguments. and have no hard feelings. your right its just a message board. and Hank is just trying to get his car fixed.

I hope the used trans works out ok. Its too bad that the CCR unit was the wrong one. bottom line is his mechanic is on a deadline tring to get his car running for him and I hope he gets it done in time.