Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rubber floor mats and armrest extension

after searching the forums, i couldn't find an answer to these questions...

first, my car came with front rubber floor mats (nothing in the back, got it used, the dealer threw them in for free). i don't know if they're the ones for the impreza or not, but i have a hard time with them. the driver's one always slides up and catches the clutch (i got scared and thought there was something wrong with teh clutch sticking, but pulled the mat back into position and it was fine). anyone else have such a problem? it's got a hole in it for one of those floor mat post things that holds them in place, but it's not in the right place on the mat for the clip in my car (03 OBS). is it possible i have mats designed for a different car that they just had laying around? if this is a normal problem, what have people done to alleviate this? i'm at the point where i might just tie the mat to the post. and does anyone know where i might be able to buy just the rear mats since i already have hte front ones?

next question is about the armrest extension. i'd like the added convenience and comfort, but i've heard it can cause issues with shifting and hitting your elbow on it. i've mainly heard this with the short throw shifter, but will this also affect the standard shifter (i have no intentions of putting the short throw thing in my car)? also, does anyone know of any good sites to find these things for like $50. $100 just seems like way too much for it.

Your assumption is probably right about them just tossing you whatever was around and yeah you should search for a replacement for the driver's side or rig the one you have (punch a hole where the post would line up). Try going back to the salesman and tell him you nearly killed a pedestrian when the mat got tangled around your brake pedal! If he is unresponsive, run him over and render him even more unresponsive.

There are a number of Subaru dealer/discount parts suppliers. 1stSubaruParts.com (west coast) and Liberty Subaru in NJ have their discount parts department. It's the same as their regular parts supplier but they discount if you assk for it! Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford CT. will also give an online price. Pay shipping/no tax.

after searching the forums, i couldn't find an answer to these questions...

first, my car came with front rubber floor mats (nothing in the back, got it used, the dealer threw them in for free). i don't know if they're the ones for the impreza or not, but i have a hard time with them. the driver's one always slides up and catches the clutch (i got scared and thought there was something wrong with teh clutch sticking, but pulled the mat back into position and it was fine). anyone else have such a problem? it's got a hole in it for one of those floor mat post things that holds them in place, but it's not in the right place on the mat for the clip in my car (03 OBS). is it possible i have mats designed for a different car that they just had laying around? if this is a normal problem, what have people done to alleviate this? i'm at the point where i might just tie the mat to the post. and does anyone know where i might be able to buy just the rear mats since i already have hte front ones?

next question is about the armrest extension. i'd like the added convenience and comfort, but i've heard it can cause issues with shifting and hitting your elbow on it. i've mainly heard this with the short throw shifter, but will this also affect the standard shifter (i have no intentions of putting the short throw thing in my car)? also, does anyone know of any good sites to find these things for like $50. $100 just seems like way too much for it.

My 2002 Forester has front floor mats (actually not mats, but carpets; perhaps I should call them carpet-mats).

The one on the driver's side is attached to a floor-post in the rear left corner. From day one, the carpet decided to exhibit a counter-clockwise tendency, and consequently it rides up towards the left (under the clutch pedal), and folds itself into the left-side wall. Occasionally I shift it back into position, but now the left-side of the mat is bent, and it sticks up in the air!

The passenger-side mat has no floor-post, so it just slides forward up towards the bulkhead.

Both mats have a pattern of raised nipples on the underside. I think that these are supposed to grip the underlying carpet, preventing the mats from moving, but they don't work.

My 2002 Forester has front floor mats (actually not mats, but carpets; perhaps I should call them carpet-mats).

The one on the driver's side is attached to a floor-post in the rear left corner. From day one, the carpet decided to exhibit a counter-clockwise tendency, and consequently it rides up towards the left (under the clutch pedal), and folds itself into the left-side wall. Occasionally I shift it back into position, but now the left-side of the mat is bent, and it sticks up in the air!

The passenger-side mat has no floor-post, so it just slides forward up towards the bulkhead.

Both mats have a pattern of raised nipples on the underside. I think that these are supposed to grip the underlying carpet, preventing the mats from moving, but they don't work.

yeah, i got the nipples on mine... the problem with the rubber mat is that it just slides up. it has a hole in it, but it doesn't reach the little floor post, which leads me to believe that these are for a different model. i might have to do more research.

My old man has the rubber mats on his 02 WRX. We kept the factory floor mats in the car and the nipples on the rubber mat have dug in and held on. No problems at all, the mats stay in place even with hard driving. The floor mat is held in place with rubber nipples and the factory post thing. It is a 5 speed which has the factory short shifter and I haven't had any trouble with hitting the center console extention (Which this car has). I've heard people complaining on the web, but nobody that I know that has had a GDB Impreza has ever had any issues with the shifter/center console when they driver our car after driving theirs.

My old man has the rubber mats on his 02 WRX. We kept the factory floor mats in the car and the nipples on the rubber mat have dug in and held on. No problems at all, the mats stay in place even with hard driving. The floor mat is held in place with rubber nipples and the factory post thing. It is a 5 speed which has the factory short shifter and I haven't had any trouble with hitting the center console extention (Which this car has). I've heard people complaining on the web, but nobody that I know that has had a GDB Impreza has ever had any issues with the shifter/center console when they driver our car after driving theirs.

What's a GDB Impreza?

I've got the post and it looks like the carpeted mats have a little extension to reach the post, but the rubber mat doesn't have that extension to reach the post.