Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Muffler help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

The tailpipe after muffler on my 88 RX has corroded through. Exhaust has deformed my rear bumper and eaten a hole thru the floor. Obviously needs fixed.
I got a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler new off ebay (mfg. link). It has center inlet and offset outlet (stock is offset / offset, top & bottom). 2.25" pipe both ends. Want to install it - if not possible, then replace tailpipe.
Stopped at two muffler shops for estimates to install. Monro said no way without extensive fabrication, no stock tailpipes available, different size pipes. Local (recommended) shop says no problem, maybe $50. ...But he didn't look at it on a lift, just on ground.
Problem is where pipe runs over rear crossmember(right name?), plus it's on a curve.

What is stock RX pipe size?
Can I use the new muffler backwards, with reverse flow? (offset inlet, center outlet)?
Anyone have experience with this?

#2 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:52 AM

Well because i dont own an RX, so this isnt definate, but the exhaust system is 1 & 3/4" or maybe 1 & 7/8"
Is it a straight through muffler, ie. you can see through it, in this case i know u can use it anyway u like.

Here is a pic of mine

Attached Files

#3 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

Is it a straight through muffler, ie. you can see through it, in this case i know u can use it anyway u like.

I can't see through it, but I can see all the way inside from each opening. It does like an 'S' curve lengthwise inside. Here's a pic from the site, but mine is center/offset not offset/offset like shown.
Posted Image

Oh, just saw this...

Flow any direction (unless stated).

Heading to the muffler shop in a few.... *fingers crossed*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users