Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The AA lift.....PICS

Numbchux

Rreally off topic, sorry, but a Power Punch story.

Better than twenty years ago (30?) I was living in a 1955 short Chevy school bus (had Corvett 283 in it) drove to various firebases during wildfire season.

Any way, the third member started getting growly, so my brother and I rebuilt it. So I'm down at some NAPA or other parts house to buy 90 weight to fill her up, and while I'm waiting the parts guy sees me spinning the little Power Punch thingy on the counter.

When he finds out what I'm up to with the bus, he say what ya want to do is run that new diff with 1/2 Power punch and 1/2 dino. I remember my college educated,millright cerified mechanic brother trying to talk me out of it, but no, I went for it.

I got about 2000 miles out of that diff. Then it started to sound like the Hubs of Hell.

Of course maybe my brother screwed up the job. Who knows. Of course you know what HE says happened. Still, I stay away from power punch.

Dumb story over.

Pyro

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Shady....

First chance I've had to come see the pics of your Kit....

My # one Question.....??? How Long do you expect the Hyme Joints at the bottom of your rear strut Mount to last...? there is a very Specific reason that there is Rubber at both ends of the strut Mount.... :rolleyes:

Also, A word to The Guys Who have bought already..... Document the miles you put on your Ride offroad....And After the 3rd or 4th trip, Check things over, Especially All round Tube mounting points....Specifically look at Bottom of Body where Bolts Go to Captive Nuts....I see body stressing and pulled sheetmetal in the future......

How Do I know this , Cause I have been there and Done it Way before there were ever any Kits On the Market.......:(

There is a BIG reason that square/Flat surfaces are used over Small round Surfaces to bolt all suspension components to a Vehicle....??

I wish you the Best with your Kit James......

John

My # one Question.....??? How Long do you expect the Hyme Joints at the bottom of your rear strut Mount to last...? there is a very Specific reason that there is Rubber at both ends of the strut Mount....

The bolt that attaches the extension to the strut runs through the lower strut bushing, does it not? I would think that will still do the job of damping vibrations and such.

We put bushings in between the hyme joints to protect them from vibration and theres is a bushing between it and the bolt. If you look at the first picture chuxs has the bushing on one side and not on the other... I contacted him along time ago to put the bushings in or else his rear strut would bounce around everywhere. the hyme joints should last the life of the car? But who knows for sure until we throw a 100k miles on the lift.

As Mudrat79 says CHECK YOUR BOLTs, especially on the tube extensions. They are prone to loosening up over time. But, if you check them once or twice you can prevent them from falling out and bending sheetmetal.

Hey Shady....

First chance I've had to come see the pics of your Kit....

My # one Question.....??? How Long do you expect the Hyme Joints at the bottom of your rear strut Mount to last...? there is a very Specific reason that there is Rubber at both ends of the strut Mount.... :rolleyes:

Also, A word to The Guys Who have bought already..... Document the miles you put on your Ride offroad....And After the 3rd or 4th trip, Check things over, Especially All round Tube mounting points....Specifically look at Bottom of Body where Bolts Go to Captive Nuts....I see body stressing and pulled sheetmetal in the future......

How Do I know this , Cause I have been there and Done it Way before there were ever any Kits On the Market.......:(

There is a BIG reason that square/Flat surfaces are used over Small round Surfaces to bolt all suspension components to a Vehicle....??

I wish you the Best with your Kit James......

John

yep, found and installed that other bushing, checked everything over, tightened a couple things, tapped/replaced that crossthreaded bolt, and drove it 3 hours from my parents house (where the project took place) up to mine. and only found that with 27" tires, and a bit of a headwind, 80mph is kind of tough, and certainly hard on the mileage.

only problem I've encountered (besides the torn front CV boots that came on the car, both have failed) is the front seal on the rear diff leaks, or I think so, the diff is always wet, and is now starting to make a grinding noise, like it has no fluid, so that needs to be addressed, soon. And yes, I'll watch for bent stuff.

Woa, Your diff is leaking at the seal, get er checked out asap!

yep, found and installed that other bushing, checked everything over, tightened a couple things, tapped/replaced that crossthreaded bolt, and drove it 3 hours from my parents house (where the project took place) up to mine. and only found that with 27" tires, and a bit of a headwind, 80mph is kind of tough, and certainly hard on the mileage.

only problem I've encountered (besides the torn front CV boots that came on the car, both have failed) is the front seal on the rear diff leaks, or I think so, the diff is always wet, and is now starting to make a grinding noise, like it has no fluid, so that needs to be addressed, soon. And yes, I'll watch for bent stuff.