Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

First 4wd?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

So,they destroyed your evidence,eh???;)

Well,I know I had a 2 and 4WD 1975 wagon side by side and I compared them.For sure,they're different.

THose drum cyclinders were just on ebay a couple of weeks ago.I know I have some buried away.THe liners are on eBay right now,or just ended.Check "completed items" if you search.

#27 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

USDM 1975 model year
JDM 1972 model year

Subaru started developing the 4wd tranny in 1970 and debuted it in the 1972 model year

here are some cool pics :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

My little sticker only states not to engage over 50mph or while cornering. Does that mean it shouldn't be driven over 50mph in 4WD? Not that my yellow %$#^* will ever get over 50mph, let alone in 4WD

i wouldn't do it... and think... if you feel you need the 4WD engaged when going that fast then you should probably be driving slower...

just my thoughts...

#29 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

The very 1st 4WD that Subaru offered was in the 1972 Station Wagons. 1975 Might be when they were imported to the US, but FHI themselfs say it's so :-p

FHI History 1970-1979

The 1st Brat was introduced in 1977 and all brats from production start to production end were 4WD. There are some very rare Gen1 Brats overseas offered as 2WD but mostly for delivery and hauling.

-Brian

#30 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

in Israel and a few other areas Gen 2 Brats also were 2wd as a option

#31 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:12 AM

Are those photos taken at the Subaru museum in Japan. There was one the same not far from me about two years ago but it was in real bad shape.

#32 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

I dunno but I think so

I do want to goto that museum if I ever get over there :)

#33 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:51 PM

USDM 1975 model year
JDM 1972 model year

Subaru started developing the 4wd tranny in 1970 and debuted it in the 1972 model year

here are some cool pics :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very very cool!!! :banana::banana::banana: Look at the aggressive tread on those tires! Also, check out the two drip pans on the floor, I guess oil leaks are nothing new.
ps- in what city is the Subaru museum locted?

#34 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:14 AM

Yokohama, Japan IIRC and it's the Fuji Heavy Industries Museum

#35 themixtoo

themixtoo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Cleveland

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

The very 1st 4WD that Subaru offered was in the 1972 Station Wagons. 1975 Might be when they were imported to the US, but FHI themselfs say it's so :-p
The 1st Brat was introduced in 1977 and all brats from production start to production end were 4WD. There are some very rare Gen1 Brats overseas offered as 2WD but mostly for delivery and hauling.

-Brian

You are correct, first 4WD 'Rus were introduced in late '74 as a '75 model in the USA. The Brat was introduced in '76 at the time of the change from stage 1 type to stage 2 as a '77 model. There is such a thing as a Stage 1 1976 'Ru and a Stage 2 1976 'Ru. Stage 1 has the body lines of the '75 and earlier models and Stage 2 has the body lines of '77 thru '79 (Brat thru '81)..... Gary

#36 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

You are correct, first 4WD 'Rus were introduced in late '74 as a '75 model in the USA. The Brat was introduced in '76 at the time of the change from stage 1 type to stage 2 as a '77 model. There is such a thing as a Stage 1 1976 'Ru and a Stage 2 1976 'Ru. Stage 1 has the body lines of the '75 and earlier models and Stage 2 has the body lines of '77 thru '79 (Brat thru '81)..... Gary

uhhhhh psssst it's 77 not 76 cause 77 was the same as the 76 untill half way through the year then it went to stage 2 and the 76 4wd never looked like the 75 (look at mine then look at skunkaroo's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users