Ultimate Subaru Message Board

circa 1980 emission controls

++++++++++++++++++++++

just can't bring myself to post this in the tech forum......but I've been making progress on my 1980 rat's nest of vauum tubes!

i've isolated each device: distributor; vacuum control module for the coasting bypass valve in the carburetor; EGR; antibackfire valve. All temp control valves and solenoids bypassed for now.

Here's the breakthru: I use drip irrigation 1/4 inch tubing "flag" emmiters as inline vacuum tube orifices. i use 4gallon per hour (4gph), 8gph, and 16gph.

By driving around with a big vacuum guage in the windshield i connect and disconnect each device separately in order to become familiar with each devices' funtion and then regulate it's operation.

By this method I've adjusted the vacuum control module for the coasting bypass valve, limited the maximum opening of the "EGR, and made the antibackfire valve operate as intended (this one is trickey because it uses a regulating dual diaphram control sytem similar to the distributor. to increase the antibackfire effect you restrict the upper hose with a smaller orifice..

These devices are no longer a mystery and i have found many cracked hoses. comments welcome

hey you really sound like you got this stuff down!

boy do i wish you were close by... i'm still trying to get my car to give me better then 15-17mpg...

vacuum hoses confuse me... and hey if you need any info from a FSM i can scan a few pages to clear up anything...