Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback w/ 120k. Leaking oil where the timing belt is. Was told that it's an oil seal where the timing belt is. No problem, been putting oil 10W-40 (about 1/2 qut.) about every two weeks. Problem now I've noticed is that at idle...say at a traffic lite, the oil light comes on then goes out when u accelerate. This happens when the car is at opert. temp.. I check the dipstik and it's "safe". There must be oil in the pan if I'm getting a reading? I don't want to go to the shop since I've already spent alot of cash just getting this car running to pass inspection. Adding oil I can deal with...for now. I doubt it's a faulty bulb. I think MAYBE at idle the oil is Not flowing??? Suggestions would be great. I bought this car cheap and like I said, I already spent enough $ on repair's to get it inspected. Thank You,

sambo

Agree with ShawnW--you'd be wise to change the timing belt, replace the crank and cam seals and reseal the oil pump (tighten the backplate screws, new o-ring and sealant). Might want to replace the waterpump while you're in there too, a good preventative measure.

Search the board--there's a lot of good info here.

I guess I'm in the incorrect "forum". I should be in the "newer subaru forum"......excuse meeee:rolleyes:! I just registered yesterday, so it'll take me awhile to figure this out. Am I going to be fined??

Because I'm losing oil through the seal I lose pressure which is why light comes on...right?

I knew I shouldn't have bought this vehicle. More $:mad:!

Thank you,

sambo

I guess I'm in the incorrect "forum". I should be in the "newer subaru forum"......excuse meeee:rolleyes:! I just registered yesterday, so it'll take me awhile to figure this out. Am I going to be fined??

Because I'm losing oil through the seal I lose pressure which is why light comes on...right?

I knew I shouldn't have bought this vehicle. More $:mad:!

Thank you,

sambo

Loosing oil through the cam or/and crank seals will do nothing to lower the oil pressure, but a dried up oil pump O ring or/and a loose oil pump backing plate can.

Low oil presure is a sure fire way of killing an engine quick. You have to replace the seals!

That light is to be taken seriously. The work involved isn't rocket science, but one or two things are easier if you have the right tools - like removing the crank pulley. Are you confident in DIY?