Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HENRY LOPEZ

HENRY LOPEZ

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • central, California

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

I just joined, I have a 1998 legacy gt wagon, I noticed it leaks oil from front of motor, between the plastic timing belt cover, Is there a seal back there ? Also where is the pvc valve? It does not always leak just sometimes. Please help. By the way I think these are quality cars.

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:34 AM

Can't help you on this one but....
Welcome the the board Henry! :banana:

Good Luck,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer--leaks oil everywhere
01 Forester--better not start leaking...!

#3 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

Welcome Henry!

Sounds like an oil pump seal... this is what mine did:

Posted Image

There was oil leaking from the timing belt cover gasket. Is this what yours is doing? You may want to change the timing belt if it's gotten oil on it.

Steve

#4 HENRY LOPEZ

HENRY LOPEZ

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • central, California

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

You hit it right on the button. Is this very difficult to replace? I can handle timing belts but how far do I go ? I also want to thank you Guys for the welcome & help.

Welcome Henry!

Sounds like an oil pump seal... this is what mine did:

Posted Image

There was oil leaking from the timing belt cover gasket. Is this what yours is doing? You may want to change the timing belt if it's gotten oil on it.

Steve

#5 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

:banana:

52 minutes, not bad! :lol: But certainly nowhere near a USMB record. You'll find a lot of helpful people here. This is my favorite place for questions like that.

I am not as mechanically inclined as many here, and when mine was leaking the car was covered by a warranty (not Subaru's, but a 3rd party). So, I had the oil pump seals fixed and had the t-belt changed for just the cost of the t-belt and small deductible. There are instructions for changing the timing belt somewhere around here.

This is a common "feature" of this engine, so it may be covered in another thread. Try searching on "oil pump seals", or "oil pump o-ring" or something like that. The search function here is very good.

Oh, and on my engine the PCV (not PVC) valve is on top of the engine, real easy to get to, easy to change with a deep socket. You'll probably find a photo of that too by searching.

Steve

#6 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

I just joined, I have a 1998 legacy gt wagon, I noticed it leaks oil from front of motor, between the plastic timing belt cover, Is there a seal back there ? Also where is the pvc valve? It does not always leak just sometimes. Please help. By the way I think these are quality cars.

Common ailment of these engines.

There are good write ups on doing the work, if you are so inclined. I have some Motor Mag articles that walk thru it pretty good.

Typically, you will want to replace the crank and camshaft seals, since they are prone to leaking. The oil pump needs servicing as mentioned. There is an o-ring, plus the screws on the backing plate are known to loosen and they need to be checked. You might want to consider water pump, depending upon milage and how much driving you expect to do. Check all t-belt idlers and the tensioner. Tighten the bolt on the crank pulley to proper specs (most books are incorrect). That's all I can think of right now.

Commuter

#7 hvnbnd

hvnbnd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Lehighton

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Common ailment of these engines.

There are good write ups on doing the work, if you are so inclined. I have some Motor Mag articles that walk thru it pretty good.

Typically, you will want to replace the crank and camshaft seals, since they are prone to leaking. The oil pump needs servicing as mentioned. There is an o-ring, plus the screws on the backing plate are known to loosen and they need to be checked. You might want to consider water pump, depending upon milage and how much driving you expect to do. Check all t-belt idlers and the tensioner. Tighten the bolt on the crank pulley to proper specs (most books are incorrect). That's all I can think of right now.

Commuter

Just finished replacing evrything up front. Cost about $300.00. It is not an easy task, so plan on changing it all and only take it apart once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users