Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tried out the Air conditioning yesterday in my '95 2.2 Leagcy sedan. It blows nice and cold but there is a loud click when the compressor comes on (relay?) and a VERY noticable drag when it's on. The car will actually decellerate when the compressor engages. It seems to cycle on and off very frequently. I know the 2.2 has limited power but is this normal? I tried checking the little window on the condensor with out much luck. Should I have the A/C system check out by a shop? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Josh,

A couple of question!

1. I am fairly new to this ultimatesubaru.org and it is not still obvious as to how to create a new thread. Apparently, I am losing my mind.

2. I have 94 RHD Subaru legacy-L station wagon and currently it does not have the belt on the A/C pulley, and the compressor clutch rattles a lot, which seems to be the main reason why the belt was off. I would love to get the A/C to work, since it was getting pretty hot in Atlanta, GA. Before I do anything major, I would like to try replacing the loose clutch (if I can get it anywhere) and install a new belt to see if A/C works. Here are my questions:

2.1) Do you know where I can get the replacement clutch for my Subaru? I checked a few places and they only seem to sell the whole compressor unit with clutch.

2.2.) I tried to use a loaner tool from Autozone to remove the clutch, but it didn't work. Where can I get the tool for this job?

2.3) Does the system need to be discharged completely before I may attempt to replace the compressor. If that is the case, I suppose I have to take it to the shop.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

When's the last time you've used the A/C? Did it work fine then? From what you described it sounds like the system is either under or over charged.

It'd probably be worth taking it to a shop for an a/c diagnostic.

I've got a 95 2.2. Haven't really noticed a sound other than the normal little AC click you get with every car. AC will take a toll on power and mpg. I don't notice a huge difference with power, but if I wanna scoot in a hurry from a dead stop I click off the AC.

Simple answer is you can't take the clutch off, you need to replace the whole compressor.

Yes you need discharge the system to replace the compressor.

I'd really recommend taking it to a shop. AC work is one of those things that even for someone with all the equipment is a little tricky.

Spend 30 bucks or something for a diagnostic. A shop should at least be able to give you an idea of what might be wrong, and costs.

If you take it to a shop, report back on what they say. Some shops like to just replace everything for lots of money.....which isn't necessary.

Thanks Josh for the advice!

Simple answer is you can't take the clutch off, you need to replace the whole compressor.

Yes you need discharge the system to replace the compressor.

I'd really recommend taking it to a shop. AC work is one of those things that even for someone with all the equipment is a little tricky.

Spend 30 bucks or something for a diagnostic. A shop should at least be able to give you an idea of what might be wrong, and costs.

If you take it to a shop, report back on what they say. Some shops like to just replace everything for lots of money.....which isn't necessary.