Ultimate Subaru Message Board

re-charged A/C System, compressor clutch still doesnt work.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Guest SubaruJunkie

Ok... now that the radiator is done, its time to do the A/C.

I have a friend who has some R12 and the equipment needed to charge my compressor. How hard is it to get that taken care of? And if that deal falls through, how hard is it to convert to 134a. I see those kits everywhere, but not sure how dangerous it is, and what all needs to be done.

My buddy with the R12 keeps saying that my seals are probably bad, and it would be a waste of time. How hard is it to replace the seals, and what seals do i need to be worried about?

-Brian

Guest Dennis

parts places like autozone sell freeze 12, its an R12 substitute that doesnt deplete the ozone layer...

most places wont sell R12 to the public anymore, and if they do - youll need a freon license and about $35 for a 12oz can. id talk your friend into charging your system, its worth a shot - you guys could do this in 10 minutes, just did mine the beginning of july...a 134a conversion most likely wont be too cost effective, and doesnt blow as cold as R12

Guest SubaruJunkie

I put 2 cans of R12 in there today. I now have cold air... but the A/C clutch still will not kick on. I have it on a switch right now, but im affraid to run it with the switch for a prolonged amount of time.

-Brian

Guest bbbs53

Hi Brian, I would have the low pressure cut out switch, or it's circuit checked. Down side is, if it is bad, recharge time, Bradd

Guest SubaruJunkie

We checked the low side pressure switch, its getting power.

System has a fresh 24+ ounces of R12 in it too.

-Brian

Guest SubaruJunkie

Never kicks on at all. I was thinking of checking the switch behind the dash.... but i dont know where it is. I brought my FSM for '84 with me to work to study. Does anyone know if the A/C Components on a '84 are the same as a '86 Brat?

-Brian

Guest edrach

If it doesn't kick in at all, follow the wires for the compressor clutch to the connector and make sure you have 12V there when you expect it to be energized. No 12V and you need to look elsewhere (compressor tach sensor, switches, pressure switches, etc.); 12V present and the compressor clutch is bad. I believe the clutch can be replaced separately from the compressor. Good luck.

Guest SubaruJunkie

I have it hard wired to a switch. When i apply 12V to the compressor, the clutch will engage. I dont like the idea of running it off a switch tho, i would like the subaru setup to work :) Ive also verified there is juice at the low pressure switch.

-Brian

Guest edrach

On my '86 wagon (should be similar) there were two switches installed in the plumbing--one was closed as long as there was R12 in the system (above a certain pressure) and the 2nd opened up if there was too much R12. Both of the switches should be normally closed for the system to work. After that it's only a matter of checking your dash switch and any (and all) connectors in the system. Ooops an ugly after-thought. Does your A/C have a separate fuse (in the fuse box and a 2nd one in the engine compartment on the passenger side near the firewall)?

Guest SubaruJunkie

I checked all the fuses in the fusebox, and there are no blown fuses. BUT! I found a section in my FSM with a wiring diagram that describe everything associated with my AC. From the switch in the dash, to the high and low switches. It also shows a couple fuses in that diagram, and it points out 3 relays under the hood that control the A/C and fans... so i will go and test those later.

Problem is, my FSM is for a '84 GL, my brat is a '86 GL. I know the compressors are different, but im not sure if all the wiring and relays are the same?

-Brian

Guest edrach

Brian, I'd be willing to bet that the wiring and such is the same for the two years of Brats. Even if it's different, it won't be much different. It just means you'll have to trace out the wiring because they may have moved the relays and changed wire colors.