Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update: The XT6 is MINE! ALL MINE!

I just purchased it! $422 after tax. (Talked them down from $600+tax) I will take delivery on Sunday and will be getting pics then. It is a 1989 AWD XT6 5spd w/ Push Button Diff Lock, Electronic Controlled Ride Height and the removable sun roof!!! I was hoping someone would do a CARFAX for me ??? (JF1AX9427KG307357) I had a county sheriff run the vin (not stolen, not tampered, looks clean.) for the Level 1 Inspection to get the title transferred from NM to AZ (Which I will goto MVD on tuesday to complete.) Odometer is reading just a little over 101,000 miles.. and when this title was issued they reported the odometer at 100,275 Actual Vehicle Mileage.

This car seems to be in good condition.. it turns over but doesn't start. #1 guess = timing (belts?) ... #2 guess = fuel delivery issues. It has one bad tire but all 4 wheels are there and appear to be in good condition. Front axle boots are TOAST.. Minor stuff like that. It needs some minor body work.. If anyone has the trim piece that goes on the windshield on the drivers side support beam.. I need that. And some minor interior work.

Well, when I first saw it I was kind of unsure about it considering it had been sitting in a junk yard and I didn't know much about it's history or anything. Not to mention our financial situation has been pretty freakin bad and I didn't think we needed another project car. WELL NOW I DON'T CARE!! I love it and I am glad Eli bought it and it's going to be soooooo much fun and he's FINALLY going to teach me how to work on Subarus (like he promised when we got the BRAT). So now I am excited and can't wait to get under that hood!! What a steal it was, man I could go on and on, but I won't. ~*~jess~*~

P.S. Anyone Questions - Comments - Suggestions. Please Post!

I don't know about the XT6, but on the four cylinder cars a 4WD car's VIN begins with JF2, a FWD cars begins with JF1. But it wouldn't have a center lock diff if it was a FWD car. Maybe it was a conversion.

Well.. It's got the Subaru AWD tags all over it and the diff lock button...

Here is what carfax says without paying for the full report:

VIN: JF1AX9427KG307357 Year/Make/Model: 1989 SUBARU XT 6 4WD Body Style: Coupe Engine Type: 2.7L H6 MFI/FI Manufactured In: JAPAN Search Results: 6 records found in our database

congrats, that sounds like a very cool project car. post pictures when you can. the true AWD coupled with the flat 6 = proto-SVX !! And if you've been in an SVX you know why that's a good thing.

Most unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of riding in an SVX.. maybe you could elaborate?

I would like to say thanks to JB for the carfax!! I am so pleased to see this report!!! It only had two owners!!! No "marks" on the title at all.

The XT6 was first titled in Media, PA on 02/05/1990 ... Then re-titled in Tucson, AZ (imagine that!) on 03/22/1995 with only 57,519 miles on it!! (Under 12k a year!) Again, re-titled in Santa Fe, NM on 03/26/1997 with only 91,625 miles on it! (34k in Two years isn't too bad.) Then on 05/26/1998 it was sold at a Pacific Southwest Auto Auction with 100,268 miles on it. (under 9k in 14 months) The new owner titled it on 06/12/1998 in Santa Fe with 100,275 miles on it..... and here's the *SUCKS* part.. it currently has 101,017 miles on it.. This means it only went 742 miles in nearly 8 years!! It was only at the junk yard I got it from for maybe, MAYBE, 2 weeks. The three "good" tires hold air and the "bad" tire looks like it was a blowout.. but the wheel is good and is in the trunk.. the spare is on the front left and flat.. I can't wait for us to get under the hood of this thing.. changes all the fluids and important stuff you change and get this baby on the road!!!!!!! Any suggestions, please!

Make sure all the tire sizes are the same, Fulltime 4WD does not like different tires sizes at all. It certainly sounds like a broken T-Belt, take the covers off and have a look. Besides that, its just the normal EA82 type stuff you need to deal with. Oil pump, timing belts, serpentine belt, alternator. Make sure all the hoses are in good shape, etc.

Good score :drunk:

Congrats!! You'll love it once you get it up & running right.

I had almost called my Stepson to have him find that there yard and buy it for me. Micheal lives out there in Tucson and works for the Unniversity. Glad you beat me to it though.

My 1st guess would be the T-belts also, probally not timed right if one's not broke.

The DS T-belt tensioner is different than ones found on the EA-82s. Was somewhat challanging my 1st time, but I muddled thru it. That was all that was wrong with the one I bought for parts a year ago. Engine ran real good for having bad/bent valves in it, (as stated by the garage owner I bought it from).

As for any body/interior parts you need, check the Market Places on xt6.net there's afew being parted out on there.

Congrats Jess!!! Us Gals have to have our project cars too. Dont feel bad about it only having 700+ miles in eight years...hopefully it was started once in awhile and ran. My GLF has 32,715 miles on it and its 23 years old! I dont even want to do the math on that.

Its going to be fine..its a Subaru!! almost anything can be fixed on it.

Oh! And I have riden and drove a SVX (Thanks to Hocrest) and all I have to say is OMG:eek: ..you are going to love the XT6

Congrats Jess!!! Us Gals have to have our project cars too. Dont feel bad about it only having 700+ miles in eight years...hopefully it was started once in awhile and ran. My GLF has 32,715 miles on it and its 23 years old! I dont even want to do the math on that.

Its going to be fine..its a Subaru!! almost anything can be fixed on it.

Oh! And I have riden and drove a SVX (Thanks to Hocrest) and all I have to say is OMG:eek: ..you are going to love the XT6

I'm sure I will, and thanks everyone for all the positive feedback, of course i didn't expect anything negative on here of all places, but you still deserve a thanks:) The SVX is what we kinda wanted first, but then we saw this dude's XT6 in Phoenix and decided that had to come first. His was only a front wheel drive model, though. And i noticed that the SVX is harder to find, any ones for sale I mean. They are pretty slick lookin and I plan on having one some day..but i think we should wait until we get our house first, four cars at an apartment I think is enough for the management to handle. But hey, actually, thanks to YellowSub, she's letting us keep the XT6 in her yard. How awesome is that? Any-hoo, now I'm just babbling on. OFF TO ICKY PHOENIX WE GO, fun little cousins b-day party WEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

~*~jessica~*~

A friend of mine had an SVX for a while. It's still in town - blue, lowered with white wheels and he sold it to a guy who works at Cafe Soriah, for you Eugene heads. There are at least 3 SVXs running around here.

Good things about the SVX:

1) Leather, wood, true GT car stance/seating. You feel like you're sitting on the ground. In a Ferrari.

2) Wide sticky tires and heavy car, grips like a mofo. I've never felt the like! It's possible to take an SVX around ridiculously sharp turns at speed...

3) Enough power from the 3.3L boxer 6 to take advantage of ALL the grip

Of course, it is pretty heavy with all those goodies... I bet the XT6 is much ligher eh?

Okay.. So we got under the hood of her today.. Sorry still no pics... we cut open the fuel line just to the motor side of the fuel filter (under hood) and the fuel in the line was piss yellow/orange and smelt like terpintine(sp?) .. It also would seem to not be pumping fuel.. unless the fuel pump is past the filter and thus was just sucking air?? Here's our plan: replace the filters.. get the pump pumping.. purge the tank with uhm whatchyamacallit crazy fuel tank cleaner stuff... replace the filters again.. put 5 gallons 91 octane w/ a bottle of octane boost and 2 ounces of the most pure rubbing alcohol I can buy.. and see if she starts up. Comments, Suggestions?

No we haven't checked the belts yet.. but checking them is the first thing we are going to do next even before purging the tank.. Doesn't cost anything to look at the belts. :brow: We just figured that getting the fuel clean and flowing is the *most* important part of getting her going... with the t-belts in a close 2nd. (i'm sure they need to be replace regardless of what position they are in.) Thanks for the tip though!

Yeah, don't go too far down the fuel route. My dad's 86 gl had its timing belt snap, and he took half the wiring harness apart trying to figure out why the fuel pump wasn't working. Take the distributor cap off and crank the engine, if the rotor turns, the belt is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, It looks as though the belt is good. I couldn't get the drivers side cover all the way off due to the bottom bolt on it seeming to be stripped.. It just spins there... what do I do? they turned evenly and everything.. but Im not sure if I'm going off the right marks... there is a little hole underneath a certain tooth... and on one side it should be straight up.. and on the otherside it should be straight down? IF this is the case.. the belt is good. Doesn't look cracked or worn. I didn't realize you needed a crazy tool or "super slim" socket to get to the sparg plugs.. so i didnt do a compression check yet... but i was checking the wires for spark... and I'm having some spark problem.. so take all the wires off the cap... and check the spark at the cap.. and its there... but barely... so i pull the coil to cap wire off and it's weak.. so i pull that wire off the coil and THERE's a GOOD spark. So at this point.. I'm thinking.. Wires and Fuel.. she'll run. Thoughts? Opinions? By the way: I found the spark plug tool in the trunk right before I left! Yay I can do a Compression test!

To remove the spinning nut on the T-belt cover, slip a putty knife in the split then turn the bolt head with your socket, this will spin the nut out of the back cover. After the bolt and nut come out of the back cover, you should be able to hold the nut with pliers and remove the bolt. Once you have bolt and nut separated from cover, put nut back on bolt, hold bolt head with pliers, heat the nut and put it back where it belongs. It may or may not hold, but I've done a few of them this way, and most of them held. Be sure to use Anti-Sieze on the bolt when you put it back together.

The 6 has the marks on the crank pulley as well as the flywheel. The center of the 3 lines should be aligned with the pointer, then as stated, one side up, other side down.

Sounds like you need new wires and such for the spark issue.