Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of Buying a 99 Legacy 30th Anniversary edition wagon

Hi anyone know a reason why I should not buy this car. It has 67000 miles on it and the only problem i've seen is that the sunroof is not working properly. I drove it today and it drove like a subie. I'm not sure if this edition has any major problems lurking like the 97-99 OB's 2.5L engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also anyone know if the sunroof is a major fix?

Thanks

Hi anyone know a reason why I should not buy this car. It has 67000 miles on it and the only problem i've seen is that the sunroof is not working properly. I drove it today and it drove like a subie. I'm not sure if this edition has any major problems lurking like the 97-99 OB's 2.5L engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also anyone know if the sunroof is a major fix?

Thanks

My 30th anniversary sedan is quite a nice car. Mine is the 2.2 with 5-speed. The little 30th anniversary things are the height adjustable seats, spoiler (sedan), sunroof and 15" alloys. I can't help you with the sunroof, sorry.

Greg

Hey... If it's from a dealer I would say yes.. especially a subaru dealer. I bought a 98 Legacy GT Sedan from a subaru dealer with 48k on it.. and in 25 miles it threw a rod through the water pump! :lol: Subaru sent me a brand new (phase 1) short block and the dealer put it in for free. I love my 2.5 and haven't had any abnormal problems with. (Plugs, Wires, Etc needed to be replace after the blow out..) Dealership only covered things that were DIRECTLY damaged. I dont care about what people complain about the phase 1 and 2 2.5's.. it's a head gasket problem? Air bubble in the coolant problem from not burping your hoses correctly? Whatever. Proper maint. and treating your car likes its a SUBARU keeps it in just as good working order as any other subaru. Good luck... IF you like the car, and the price is right, I say GO FOR IT!

Hi thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the 15" alloys and the seats. what goes wrong?

Thanks

My 30th anniversary sedan is quite a nice car. Mine is the 2.2 with 5-speed. The little 30th anniversary things are the height adjustable seats, spoiler (sedan), sunroof and 15" alloys. I can't help you with the sunroof, sorry.

Greg

When I hit the buttons it went up but wouldn't open. It seemed like it was off track or something. Anyway the guy said he would take a thousand off for the sunroof. I am going to have my mechanic look at it first.

thanks

I don't know what to say about the Roof... it depends what's the problem? Electrical not working at all? Fuse? Wiring? Is it mechanical? Doesn't track right or something?? Mechanical is probably a harder fix than electrical...

I don't know about the 30th ann.... but in my 98 GT the sun roof opens two ways... one button lifts the back up and down.. and one button slides it backward or forward... the back of the window has to be DOWN all the way for it to slide back to open up all the way... i.e. the window wont slide at all if the back is up even a little bit.. and you cant go up if the window is slid back even a little bit........................... hope this makes sense, and is indeed the "problem"?

Hi thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the 15" alloys and the seats. what goes wrong?

Thanks

Sorry, didn't mean "things" as go wrong, but just the items that make up the 30th anniversary package.

30th Annivesray package suggested value $2000

*Power Moonroof

*Alloy Wheels and 195/60 R15 tires

*Rear Spoiler

*Driver's Seat Height Adjuster

*Body-color Door Handles and Body Side Molding

*Power Antenna

30th Anniversary Package Discount -$1000

Total 30th Anniversary Pkg Special Price $1000

(Taken right from my window sticker and my car is a sedan)

My car in 99 stickered for $20,690 car! and I have a 5 speed.

I guess the only thing that could go wrong with those items are if you like the car and don't buy it and somebody else does their butt may be in the height adjustable seat seat and somebody else may make the wheels go around and that would be a problem :-)

Greg

My dad just purchased a 99 30AE special wagon, 5-speed, and it is really nice. All of the non-GTs, non-Outbacks were the 2.2l, so no 2.5 problems, although this is apparently (from what I have heard on this board) an interference engine, so stay on top of timing belt changes (I change every 60k).

As for the sun roof, what SuBrat84 said holds true for the 30AE sunroofs as well, it must be all the way down to slide back, and all the way foward to go up. In addition, my dad's will run the motor even when it is all one way or another, so don't hold the switches too long if it is not moving, as you could burn out the motor. All in all, if the rest of the car was good, I would take the 1K off for the sunroof, and then fix it, as I highly doubt it will be a 1K fix, if you have a good, honest mechanic.

Well I just bought the car! It was too nice to pass up. The car has 67,000 miles on it and I talked him down to $8,000 from 9,995. So to me I feel like I got a great car at a good price. Nothing else wrong with car besides a few tiny scratches near the rear door handle. So hopefully I can get that sunroof fixed and ride off into the sunset! Now, what to do with my 93 legacy......

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

If the seller is willing to take a thousand dollars off the price for the sun roof it would seem to me the car's selling price is too high. Hopefully you have checked prices for that year in your area.

It sounds like you got a good price. I pait 11K for my 99 30A 2.5 GT sedan with 90K on it 2 years ago. I am very happy with it except that it is sitting in the shop right now with a blown head gasket. While I'ts there I'm having a decent clutch put in it; the stock clutch is pretty weak.