Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member W/ Signal light problem

Thank y'all for allowing me intp your group.

I own a 1997 Legacy GT 5 speed.

My problem is ever since I purchased the car the signal lights have not worked.

I replaced the blown fuse for the signal lights and the right side worked. When I switched to the left side nothing worked and I had a burn smell under the dash. I have checked all the wiring to the front and back of the left side and did not find any bare wiring.

I pulled the plastic panel under the steering panel looking for the flasher and did not find it. The new fuse did not blow which, indicated to me that I have an open circuit somewhere. I purchased a new flasher, but cannot find a home for it. The car runs super and everything works except the signal lights. I hate to dump it for such a minor problem. HELP!!!!

Thank y'all

Jack Jefferson

Did you check the fuses under the hood and under the dash?? Did you make sure you replaced the fuse with the proper impedance? A burn smell... my best guess, however it's just a guess.. would be that your turn signal relay burned up.. I'm assuming this relay is what you purchased?? I'm not sure where it goes.. and I think your best bet would be to find a service manual with wiring diagrams.. or hopefully someone on here has a diagram and they could explain to you where the relay goes... Good luck, and I hope you get your signals going because the GT's are sweet cars.. I have a 98. Oh yeah, Welcome to the board!

you should have the car properly diagnosed

but my best guess is that you need a new combination switch

this is inside of the steering column housing

the one with the turn signal/wiper arms on it

i had a similar issue - burning and all

on my 99 leggie GT and indeed, the issue was the combo switch

but please, get the car diagnosed before spending money on a part like this.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You for your reply.

I took the car to a Vietnam Subie tech after the told me the flasher was "obar da hooot cooble". He reached over the hood cable, replaced the flasher, replaced the new signal light socket and now it is as good as new.

Jack