Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 Outback. I need to replace the condenser and probably will replace the receiver dryer as well. Has anyone used aftermarket parts for this or is it best to buy original parts from Subaru? Where did you get the parts? I am going to need to replace the seals as well when I do the job and want make sure I get the right parts. Im not sure of the quality of the aftermarket stuff.....

if you replace the condensor, you will need to replace the reciver/dryer. Replace the reciver/dryer in the parking lot of the AC place that you are using to evacuate the system (or do you have your own vacuum pump?), and have them evacuate the system immediately after. The Reciver/Dryer is little more than a can od desicant, and the moisture in the air will kill it. Once you break the lines to the condensor, you will have air in the system. This is not good. Te Reciver/Dryer can take a little air, but not a lot. If your system is open for any extended time, the part will be dead. It is used to trap moisture which causes corrosion inside the system.