Ultimate Subaru Message Board

blow off valve, turbo timer, boost controller, are they worth it ?????

nurseman

I bought an 05 baja turbo. I have seen alot of aftermarket turbo things like blow off valve, turbo timer, manual boost control. can someone tell me if they are worth having to increase performance and do they extend turbo life? any help would be appreciated.:cool:

your baja already has a bypass valve, which is similiar to a blow off but it recirculates the air back into the intake so the computer isnt confused. So a blowoff valve would be useless. A turbo timer will extend the life of your turbo by allowing the turbo to cool gradually and not leave coked oil on the bearings. Its not really necessary either, just let it idle a few min. before you shut the motor off, especially after spirited driving. A boost controller is used to increase the boost. This will give you more power, obviously with negative effects on engine/drivetrain life just as any other major power increase would. It most likely voids your warranty too.

a turbo timer is probably one of the best things you can buy for your car. its nice to give your car time to cool down without having to babysit. plus its useful when you need to run into the house or the store for a minute. take your key out, get your stuff, hop back in and insert key, and boost away!

I have heard that modern turbocharged engines are designed in such a manner so as to let oil flow through the turbo by convection after the engine has been shut down. Is it true? Dunno, might be!