Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 Outback 2.5 to 2.2 swap Info

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,921 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

Just finished putting a 95 Impreza 2.2 into a 98 Outback. Both were autos. All worked fine, but the flex plates are different size, by about 1/2" dia. (don't ask me how I fournd this out). You will need to keep flex plate from your Outback and bolt it up to the impreza engine.

The Air conditioning mount bracket has smaller mount bolts as well. Keep all the brackets from your Outback.

#2 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

i take it the 2.5 had h/g probs?

have you taken it out for a run yet to test it out?

if you did,was there a diff in how much power it has?

i've always heard of people doing swaps to put bigger engines in,but never the other way around.

#3 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,921 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

Yep, HG were gone. This is the second 2.5 > 2.2 swap I've done. The power loss is very little and you get an engine that will go 300K+ that will not trash itself if the Tbelt goes.

#4 tracer46

tracer46

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sulphur

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

I just had the same swap (95 Legacy 2.2 into a 98 Outback 2.5) done but found that the 2.2 engine has no EGR valve. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? The Check Engine code is that the EGR is malfunctioning. Do I need a different intake manifold so that I can install an EGR or do I need an ECU from a 95 2.2? Any help would be appreciated. Can't pass my states emissions when the CE light comes on. By the way, the car is running just fine.

#5 offroadsubaruguy

offroadsubaruguy

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • arvada, colorado

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

try running the 2.5 intake manifold on the 2.2, i believe its bigger anyway.... might breath better....

#6 tracer46

tracer46

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sulphur

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

Is it a straight swap without any mods? Guess I didn't think it would be compatible.

#7 offroadsubaruguy

offroadsubaruguy

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • arvada, colorado

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:19 AM

im not sure, but if it works let me know, thinking of trying a 2.5 intake on my wagon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users