Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another dead Forester clock

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:27 PM

Every time I read about somebody else's problem I get it later myself. I came out yesterday and my clock was dead.
I remember several folks discussing this and they solved by it by adding a resistor. I had power and ground to the clock so I figured this might be the problem.
After dissasembling the clock I found what looked like a resistor that is flat and rectangular in the upper right by the face with a cold solder joint that was passing no voltage. The number on the component is 510. I think on some folks clocks this may have fallen right off. I resoldered both ends and it is working now.
Do be careful of the little buttons that set the clock as if you pick the front up wrong while dissasembled they seperate into six little pieces that fall out. Don't ask me how I know.

#2 seanliu

seanliu

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Howell

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

In my case, it was the resistor 300 fell off on one end.

#3 dpoppeli

dpoppeli

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Apparently you've been driving off-road too much thus causing vibration and subsequent resistor breakage. You know Subaru says that the Forester is not an offroad vehicle :)

I fixed my clock too. Now I hope I don't get a head gasket failure any time soon.

Talking about falling pieces, anybody's rear-fender plastic guard fall off their Forester? I bought new Dupont double-sided tape but after trying to take off the old tape I'm wondering if this part is "optional". I didn't want to silicone the tar out of it either.

Every time I read about somebody else's problem I get it later myself. I came out yesterday and my clock was dead.
I remember several folks discussing this and they solved by it by adding a resistor. I had power and ground to the clock so I figured this might be the problem.
After dissasembling the clock I found what looked like a resistor that is flat and rectangular in the upper right by the face with a cold solder joint that was passing no voltage. The number on the component is 510. I think on some folks clocks this may have fallen right off. I resoldered both ends and it is working now.
Do be careful of the little buttons that set the clock as if you pick the front up wrong while dissasembled they seperate into six little pieces that fall out. Don't ask me how I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users