Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i relaced the front sway bar links and bushes and she quiet as a mouse . sweet as .

I've got a 95 legacy that is doing the same "thunk" in the same conditions. Seems to be coming from the back. Since my mechanic tried spraying the bushings with WD-40 and no luck I plan to buy replacements. Looking at the picture, could you please tell me which links / bushings id numbers helped?

legacy_suspension.gif

When I first purchased my Legacy I had a clunking noise in the back on one side. It turned out to be a beat strut.

I have also had similar sounds in the SHO, and they were traced down to a bad sway bar mount. Try pushing the car around a corner with a little speed. If it's the sway bar bushing you can usually make it clunk in the corners.

-Heikki

When I first purchased my Legacy I had a clunking noise in the back on one side. It turned out to be a beat strut.

I have also had similar sounds in the SHO, and they were traced down to a bad sway bar mount. Try pushing the car around a corner with a little speed. If it's the sway bar bushing you can usually make it clunk in the corners.

-Heikki

Somebody else told me the same thing (as above) so last week got 4 new KYB GR-2's installed. I noticed a BIG difference in the handling (no change in "clunk"). Wife just noticed the $500 it cost. Tried to get my subbie in a more expensive shop, they said when they felt they had the time they would call me!?!? I think I'm in the wrong business.

rude

• 2 weeks later...

New shop says "Get an upper strut bearing plate" and gave me the same picture I posted! I think the rest of the world calls this a "strut mount". They also said it shouldn't be too dangerous.

I do have two questions:

1.) Should I get KYB's (cheaper) or dealer mounts?

Could they be the same.

2.) The driver's side is:

A.) Left

B.) Right

Thanks in advance,

Rude

• 4 weeks later...

Update-

After 3 weeks I got the upper strut mount and went back to new mechanic. He said it was the wrong side (got the Left Hand side, most likely his fault - but doesn't matter) while he had it in there he removed, cleaned and lubed the rear sway bar then assembled everything to correct torque settings - and the “clunk” is gone!

I’m very pleased it seems to have vanished, but remain puzzled. I’m looking into returning the mount (still in the bag) I ordered from 1st Subaru. Rode around for a few days with an empty car and a full load but seems to be really gone?

Rude