Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More then likely you can probably just get the bracket that holds the caliper. This will move the mounting position of the caliper further out, so it accepts the larger rotor.

People with the 2001 RS's will do this very thing to fit WRX front brakes on. Buy the larger rotor and the caliper bracket.

I'm going to be upgrading the brakes on my 93 Legacy in the next month, so I've been doing a bit of reading on the subject.

Looks to me like the caliper is the same for your car (pads are the same), the 00-04 Legacy 2.5GT, and WRX, so the only differece is the rotor and caliper bracket. The Legacy GT has the same front brakes as a WRX, so you could probably find a set of WRX brackets used on nasioc pretty easily. As far as rear brakes go, the 01-04 Outback has bigger discs, so you could do the same thing by getting a set of those brackets. You will need 16" wheels to clear them.

The bigger rotor will provide more braking power and be more resistant to fade. Only upgrading the front or rear will change the brake bias, which could increase stopping distance (too far forward), and/or make the car unsafe (too far rearward). Just putting on front WRX brakes or rear H6 brakes probably isn't going to do that though. In fact, just putting on the bigger rears might help, as the rears can do about 30% of the work to stop a car, but are probably only really providing 20% of the braking force. Josh made a really nice spreadsheet comparing some Subaru brakes that you can probably find on his website.

You might just want to find some good pads, though. They'll make a big difference.

I'll be putting on WRX front brakes, Legacy wagon rear calipers (they have bigger pistons), and a wagon brake bias valve. I think it will still be a little more forward biased, but for the price of the parts used, I can't really beat it. I'd like to do the H6 rears, but it's a little expensive since I'd need calipers, rotors, and brackets. My rear rotors are still good, so I just need the rear calipers and bias valve, which I'm getting used for cheap, and I already have the front set.

Big thing with brakes is what type of environment do you plan to use the car in.....that will help you in determining how much you want to spend.

My personal advice, for a street driven car that you just want some extra braking capability, put better pads on. It's relatively inexpensive, and can really improve stopping capability over stock pads.

Here's the spreadsheet I did that jamal was talking about.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/techinfo/brakemath.xls

Thanks for the replies. In '03, the GT & SE's have the same size rear brakes, but the GT has the larger front rotors. The SE's has the same wheel as the GT so I don't believe that clearance or brake bias will be an issue.

As for use, yes it's just a daily driver but I feel like it should stop better. I am just turning 41,000 miles and I'm starting to get some pulsating under braking and the right front disc is starting to groove up a bit compared to the left. I don't do much long distance driving, it's mostly suburban "city" so I figure even under the best of circumstances I can't expect more than 45-50,000 miles on the fronts.