Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 4wd GL Wagon - What's it worth?

Hi, pardon the what's it worth question, but there just isn't much history out there to go by, and I really haven't a clue of what to ask.

Anyway, This has been my (and my friends) backup car for years. I've run it every month and seems to get driven a month or so a year while another car is down.. I've got the need for the space, so am getting it set to sell. Drove it to the station today and a guy comes running out of the shop wanting to buy it....

I've always been a soob fan, and this car has alway started & run fine when I need it to. It also does great on all the mountain backroads. I'll probably regret letting it go, but....

1979 GL? 119k miles, 4WD

-Metallic brown, Plaid seats with matching two tone stripes!

-Functional AC - (could use a boost.)

-Manual 4 Speed

-luggage rack, Rear air spoiler

-Interior in very decent shape, one patch missing (4") on the driver seat back.

-Exterior pretty good for it's age, paint shows some weathering (has been parked in a carport ) and a slight bit of rust front passenger fender (near hood)

-Twin light head lights, Aftermarket fog.

-Rear window defroster (haven't tried that out)

-Tires are close to new.

-Aluminum Rims

-Runs fine.

-Had the axles/boots replaced a few years ago.

-paperwork, Original manual and bill of sale, only $6222 new!

Seems like a really solid little car, But I haven't seen any forsale anywhere while I've been looking for the past few weeks. I'm just looking for a ballpark of where to start. Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Rick

Ducks/ beavers who cares? When they spend 5% of the equivalent of athletics elsewhere then maybe I'd care. I'm involved with both unis, I secretely root for them both to loose...

Anyway, I'm still torn about keeping this car, I paid absurdly little for it so it's not a major outlay... I'm not that up on the state of things so I just haven't an idea of weather they're worth something or nothing.

The blems are:

-The rust on the passenger front fender, top side next to the hood.

-There is also a minor dent on the rear behind the bumper endflap. I don't know how the person did it or if they changed bumpers, it's not that big a deal, but the rubber part doesn't show any marks?

-The missing patch on the driver's seat cover.

-One Plastic wheel well covering in the rear is cracked and missing parts.

- The nice analog clock is not working - bummer.

- The jack handle is missing, original jack is there.

- Ever since I got this there was one vaccuum hose that I have stoppered. It was disconnected and open when I bought the car, I looked hard but never could figure it out, so It has a plug in it. Thought maybe something funky got added with the AC?!!? Still seems to run fine.

- There's a 5 speed gear shift knob (the original was too sticky, so I got a spare at the junkyard one day (I can hardly find mid-late 80's cars in the yard anymore let alone this vintage)

-Car came to me with 92 or 96k on it. It was impossible to imagine at that point that it already had 200k on it. The records showed it was owned by an old guy, and the dmv records (though not complete) also pointed towards 100k.

- I'm not sure the auto choke is adjusted properly, idles too low when cold and cuts out sometimes.

probably some other flaws I'm not thinking of at the moment...

Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming, let you know what I decide.

Cheers, Rick

Generally, the items you mention are very minor. Typical for a car that age and ceratainly within what would be expected.

I have seen these sell for between $800 and $2500. I would think you have a car at the higher end. One thing for sure....the demand is going up and the supply is coming down!

Best of luck with it, I hope it goes to a loving home!

Todd

• 1 month later...

If this soob is still looking for a loving home I'd be interested and willing to fly up and drive it to AZ. Or ship. PM me if you haven't sold it. I've been looking for this year rather than trying to restore the one I've got.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...