Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch problems...87 4WD.

Guest Subazoo

Guest Subazoo

Replaced clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch cable. Takes a TON of force to compress clutch. Is that a slave cyclinder thingy under the master cyclinder, and is that why the thing takes so much force to depress the clutch? Never replaced one, looks to be the return unit with spring, anyway...am I right?

Is this the problem?

Thanks,

ZOO

Guest SubaruJunkie

When you replaced the cable, did you make sure to run the new cable in the exact same spot as the old? If you have it routed wrong, or its kinked somewhere, it will take alot of force to move that cable. Also, some cables have a break in period where they feel stiff until they are used for a while. May just be that. I would check tho, i think there's a page in the manual somewhere that describes where the cable needs to be run.

-Brian

Guest Subazoo

Yeah...she's routed perfectly. Exact duplicate of OEM cable lay.

Wondering about that thing that looks like a clutch slave cylinder.

Hmmm...

Guest calebz

Theres no slave cylinder.. the thing attached to the mater cylinder that you are probably talking about is the hill holder..

I don't have one.. mine used to be an auto and I decided it was more trouble than it was worth to install it.

However, I just repolaced my clutch cable on my 87 a couple of weeks ago and I had the same problem.. turned out to be the "assist" spring on the pedal binding up. (its the big fat one that is under the pedal and almost vertical in relation to the floor).

So I just took it out.. much better immediately.. my original intent was to take it out, lube it up and put it back in.. but considering how much of a pain it was to get out in the first place, and how well it worked without it.. I don't think I'm going to put it back in.. granted, the clutch feels a little bit heavier than it did before, but I kind of like it.