Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Easy Out Procedure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MSSLGECKO

MSSLGECKO

I miss picture signatures

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Missoula

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hi all,

I am going to attempt to remove a bolt w/ a rounded head on it this afternoon. I have a set of easy out bits and thought that I would make sure that I am doing it right before I dive in.

Do I need to drill some sort of pilot hole in the bolt, or do I just put the bit in the drill, set to reverse and push into the bolt while drilling?

Thanks,

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

Be carefull!!!

You already have a bad situation, don't take any chances to make it worse.

Yes you need to drill a pilot hole. This is critical. You must get it right the first time. If you don't you'll mess up your existing threads.

I'd center punch your bolt and drill it carefully!

Start small and work your way up with the bits.
If you stay centered you can drill most all the bolt out except for the threads.

I have found that with the center of the bolt gone, it's easy to remove.

If it still won't come out then try the easy-out.

Don't force the easy-out, if you break it you have a big problem. They are made of the same stuff as drill bits.

Good Luck,
(Ya I realize that the bolt are rarely in a convient spot)

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:51 PM

LH drill bit. Try em, they work lots better than an Ez out.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,804 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

EZ outs suck. they work sometimes but when they break it's not worth the trouble. i still have one under my daily driver by the fuel pump that i haven't gotten out for over a year! LH drill bits are the way to go. i removed two rusty bolts yesterday by drilling a hole through the center and spraying them with liquid wrench. after drilling the hole, they unthreaded smooth as butter with a pair of small pliers. not sure why, but apparently drilling loosened them up or something.

#5 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:04 AM

i just had an idea,.. what if you got an expanding toggle bolt, put it into the pilot hole and tightened it so it expands and then unwind it,.. dunno your exact situation nor have i tried it but its just a passing thought:drunk:

#6 MSSLGECKO

MSSLGECKO

I miss picture signatures

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Missoula

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Just before I gave up and went to go get a drill (that was not available at the time), I broke it loose w/ a good old vice grip.

Thanks for the input and replies, I'll definately remember for next time I have to deal w/ this sort of thing. The bolt was difficult to access, and would have been probably the worst way to learn to use an easy-out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users