Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mid rear?????

has anyone ever thought of making a mid rear subaru???? i figured a hatch would be an excelent donor car, then from there either go with an ej22, or maybe an er27 with a fwd tranny....... it would be loads of fun, but a little difficult to do unless you used an auto....... just figured id throw the thought out to the board.....

What about to a brumby/brat?

You wouldn't have to worry about trying to insulate the cab from the engine noise. Fuel tank mounting would also be easier.

I think an EG33 or EZ30 with twin turbos with a FWD trans would be excellant.

other makes FWD cars generally have twin cables used for changing gears. Maybe something could be adapted?

BTW if you do this, I want pix & I'll be buying a plane ticket to come over for a ride:brow:

What about to a brumby/brat?

You wouldn't have to worry about trying to insulate the cab from the engine noise. Fuel tank mounting would also be easier.

I think an EG33 or EZ30 with twin turbos with a FWD trans would be excellant.

other makes FWD cars generally have twin cables used for changing gears. Maybe something could be adapted?

BTW if you do this, I want pix & I'll be buying a plane ticket to come over for a ride:brow:

I'll be buying a ticket too:banana: :headbang::burnout:

I always thought that a FWD XT6 would be a great mid-engine project. It could be the true sportscar (2 seater) Subaru never made.

BTW, Sports and race cars use mid-engine layouts because they handle better due to a lower polar moment of inertia. Think of it like a flywheel, if you have two flywheels of the same weight, one with most of the weight in the center, one with the most of the weight near the rim. The center weighted one will react quicker and require less energy to accelerate.

Gary

I did the groundwork on doing just this but other projects got in the way. What I worked out is to use a Justy, Impreza front Xmember in the rear, Impreza hubs, A arms, struts etc. which would all be the right spring rate and everything would fall into alignment. And run tuned WRX motor with the 2WD auto. 225s in the front and some 285s in the rear.

I did the groundwork on doing just this but other projects got in the way. What I worked out is to use a Justy, Impreza front Xmember in the rear, Impreza hubs, A arms, struts etc. which would all be the right spring rate and everything would fall into alignment. And run tuned WRX motor with the 2WD auto. 225s in the front and some 285s in the rear.

sounds like what we are working on here at Top Speed... :brow:

sounds like the subaru version of the renault r5 turbo :brow:

after driving a rear wheel drive, higher horsepower hatchback, i think this would be the coolest thing for a street car.

i've seen it done with 80s vw pickups, with a big ole build van motor in the back.

a hatch with no weight in the back is hard to manage in rwd, i wonder how hard it would be to steer with no weight up front? popin wheelies around corners instead of doin power slides, seems scary.

i hate how far subaru engines hang out in front of the front wheels...

a hatch with no weight in the back is hard to manage in rwd, i wonder how hard it would be to steer with no weight up front? popin wheelies around corners instead of doin power slides, seems scary.

With the engine mounted midship and the fuel tank relocated up front you should be able to get a very balanced weight distribution. But it will drive much different than a front heavy car.

i hate how far subaru engines hang out in front of the front wheels...

This is probably the single biggest disadvatage to the boxer/transaxle combo, but imagine the front overhange with a longitudinal inline 4 in front of the axle. Thats why all the I4s are transverse, but front mount transverse doesn't work as well for RWD/AWD.

Gary

Just thought I should mention to everyone here that I too am looking into the mid-engine idea. I have an ER27 bolted to a 2wd 5 speed sitting in my garage. My idea is to put it in my lifted wagon (84 GL) to go all out baja style, so I can get the room I need up front for suspension. I havent really started looking into it all that much other than I got the engine and transmission. Every once in a while I go out there and scratch my head for a bit trying to figure out how to cut up the back of my car to get it all to fit and such.

-Mike

(the alternative is that I also was thinking of bolting the transmission to my EA82T engine and putting it midship in the kit car my friend and I are building from the ground up)

... Thats why all the I4s are transverse...

Gary

Nit, Nit nit!!! :grin: There are quite a few longitudinal I4 FWDs. Though you could nitpick right back that some of these are technically front-midengines, such as some Renaults.

Gee.. I have a Justy with engine/tranny sitting on the ground... I have an EJ22... just need a FWD tranny... or maybe use an AWD and route the driveshaft back forward... hmmmm....