Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I dropped my son off at school this a.m. and his teacher was upset. He has a '93 Legacy. He had the timing belt changed in January and now the crankshaft pulley key "broke". He was quoted $500 for repair by the shop that did the original timing belt change. I suspect that the shop failed to adequately tighten the crankshaft bolt back in January. So my question is how should he proceed? Is it customary for a shop to warrant their work? Is it possible the key broke just coincidentally?

Damn right they should warrant their work. I know I would. $500 dollars sounds mighty high for replacing a crankshaft pulley and belt especially when they are the ones who most likely did not torque the crankshaft bolt to spec. I dont know but aren't legacy 2.2's interferance motors? If they are there might be more than a crankshaft pulley problem. You might have bent valves:banghead: . Although, I must say it did take since january for the part to break, so I could see why the shop may be hesitant to fix the problem. Hmmmm tough call. I just know how much repeat business subarus bring (because they always break), so if they ate this one he would surely come back later.

Hi,

I dropped my son off at school this a.m. and his teacher was upset. He has a '93 Legacy. He had the timing belt changed in January and now the crankshaft pulley key "broke". He was quoted $500 for repair by the shop that did the original timing belt change. I suspect that the shop failed to adequately tighten the crankshaft bolt back in January. So my question is how should he proceed? Is it customary for a shop to warrant their work? Is it possible the key broke just coincidentally?

You can get a used crank pulley and a new key for under $75, cheaper if you go to a "U Pull It" junk yard. Any pulley from an impreza or legacy with a 1.8 or 2.2L engine will fit. It is most likely that they did not tighten the bolt to spec and use thread-lock. It probably came loose over time, started to wobble and sheared the key. There may be damage to the crankshaft where the pulley sits, but chances are good it's ok. It could have been a lot worse if it came off (damage). To replace it doesn't take long, so I can't see why labor charges would be high.

Your engine is non-interference, don't worry about any damage (valves, etc)

If the shop is reputable, they will stand behind their work. If not, I would go elsewhere.

It has been awhile since I have had a Subaru but as I recall the replacement of the pulley should be straightforward. I saw your pulley on ebay and I found a new one with key and bolt for $99. I considered offering to do the job myself as a thank you for being my son's teacher for the year but I think he already had the work done.