Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have always noticed that when the vent is open and the fan on that my subaru will suck bad smelling air inside when I pull up behind an exhaust heavy car. I am getting that now all the time.

It doesn't seem to happen when I have the air-conditioning on. But if the vent is open -- even with the defroster on. It makes me think the smell is coming from my own car. I have new tires -- could that be causing it? or should i be looking for something else? I just recently had a bad problem with a tire (which is why I now have new tires). There were warning signs but I didn't pay enough attention. I don't want to do that again. There are no other signs of a problem.

KatieinOregon

well behind exhaust heavy cars that will happen...

if it is doing it all the time.....i would check two things

exhaust leak: check your exhast around the headers and catalytic converters for cracks or leaks that may be blowing exhaust out prematurely. Also if this is happening you will start to get sick so i would check this pretty quick

Oil leak. THere may be an oil leak that is leaking down on your exhaust and burning off as it gets hot....see if there is any fresh oil on your exhaust...

hope this helps

Cory

if you open your hood and take a wiff,does it smell the same as what your smelling inside the car?

not sure if that'll help pin point were the smell is coming from,but it might tell you if it's your subie or just bad air quality

although i think the outside air gets pulled in front the vents just in front of windshield(someone correct me if i'm wrong,cause 80% of the time i am :-\ )