Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally, a picture of my Brat

This is it. I love this car!! The interior is brown and black and is in pretty good shape. The driver seat frame was broken, so my husband took it apart yesterday and welded it. Now it feels like new. The AM push button radio still works, so I decided to keep it (actually, I kinda like it). The muffler had to be repaired, rear shocks replaced, new tires (185 70R 13) and beauty rings. There's still a few things to do, but not that much.

12069Brat_1-med.jpg

Very nice brat it's getting very difficult to find something in that condition. most of that gen have been turned into creek bombs dovn neer the salt flats and therefore all rusted out or need some major reconstruction from where they have been in prangs

So THATS what my brat looked like in 1978... if you could see past the missing door handles, dented quarter panel, spots of surface rust that look like desert camo, cancer holes in the bottoms of the fenders, mismatched aftermarket mirrors, smashed in front bumper, rusted out and dented rear bumper, peugot alloy rims, cancer holes in the floor, missing screws in the bed cover panels, missing jump seats, ripped driver seat....

MY BRAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE YOURS!

But IMHO it could use the "BRAT" B pillar decals

Did the gen 1s have those.. neither of the gen 1 brats I have seen down here have had the decals..

Nice brat. I love the first gens the are so much sportier looking than subsequent models.

Did the gen 1s have those.. neither of the gen 1 brats I have seen down here have had the decals..

yes they did... but it was optional so most didn't get it... i've seen a few cars with them on the web...

When the Brat was introduced here, in my little corner of the world, they were ALL white/blue interior, steel wheels, roll bar, seat belt booties and the same multi-color decals as on Skip's Brat. I think the dealers ordered them "all dolled up" with the decals as a selling aid.

About half-way through the model year of '78 they got the different exterior colors, 5 spoke white wheels and "upgraded" interiors... <plaid inserts> and dubbed them '78 1/2. A/C was offered as an option. They still had the multi-colored decal, again, the decal seems to be a dealer thing, and not standard.

Now, back in the day, I never saw one that had a single color decal until the Gen2's were introduced. It was a vertical Brat decal with hashmarks running up over the roof, no side swash, the horizontal word "Subaru" under the word Brat was absent.

This is puzzling... I do recall seeing one that had a double stripe, wide on top and thin on the bottom. It ran from from the nose, where it rounded out and it ran along the side and wrapped around the tail and stopped short of the tailgate gap. That decal may have been an option here at the time?

I always loved my white one best.

small "booties" that cover the rear seat belt retractors

keeps the crud out of the mechanism.

Mary is the only other person that I know

that have heard of or seen them.

Bet Todd has though.

I can get you a picture of mine if you like.

I checked my original paper work that I got with my 78.

The decals were a dealer installed option costing a

whooping 53 dollars (installed),

hey back then that was a lot of brewskies

From the texture and the look

I believe they slaughtered some naugas

and then used their hides to make them.

Where to get some??

Sorry,

I'd imagine finding your local heard of naugas

would be as easy as finding some.

When the Brat was introduced here, in my little corner of the world, they were ALL white/blue interior, steel wheels, roll bar, seat belt booties and the same multi-color decals as on Skip's Brat. I think the dealers ordered them "all dolled up" with the decals as a selling aid.

About half-way through the model year of '78 they got the different exterior colors, 5 spoke white wheels and "upgraded" interiors... and dubbed them '78 1/2. A/C was offered as an option. They still had the multi-colored decal, again, the decal seems to be a dealer thing, and not standard.

I wonder why they did that... The Brat was introduced in August of 77 as a 78 model. the last one I had was a Sept. 77 model the same color as Skips....

I wonder why they did that... The Brat was introduced in August of 77 as a 78 model. the last one I had was a Sept. 77 model the same color as Skips....

It's got to be a regional thing. Could be they ordered one style of Brat that they thought would appeal to the local public's taste? Once it flew, it may have been a sales gimmick kind of thing to offer choices... like "new and improved"?