Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator for Manual 1991 Liberty GX

Hi all

I have a manual 91 liberty gx, and have just brought a new Radiator that is ment to fit it (my previous radiator has a huge hairline crack in the right hand side plastic tank).

The new radiator is the same size/dimensions etc...its just on the left hand side tank, there are 2 small pipes coming out of the tank....I believe these may be pipes for cooling of an Automatic gear box??/ Now I was told this radiator would suit a Manual.......Can anyone shed any light on this??

EDIT: I live in Australia, and I believe that Liberty's are also called Legacy's

Same thing happened to me when I replaced the rad in my 91 legacy-the replacement units are set up to fit either M/T or A/T cars.

What did you do to overcome this problem?? Did you just bung the pipes or what??

If you have a manual tranny, just leave the pipes open. It won't hurt anything.

If you really want to, you can get some rubber caps to put over the pipes, but you don't need to.

I put some caps over them when I did my MT swap. The caps stayed on there for a couple weeks....but came off.....no biggy.

Also, the crack you mentioned. It's actually a pretty common failure point for these radiators, and pretty much in that exact same spot.

If you have a manual tranny, just leave the pipes open. It won't hurt anything.

If you really want to, you can get some rubber caps to put over the pipes, but you don't need to.

I put some caps over them when I did my MT swap. The caps stayed on there for a couple weeks....but came off.....no biggy.

Also, the crack you mentioned. It's actually a pretty common failure point for these radiators, and pretty much in that exact same spot.

Hahhah yes, I did some research and found that it is a common fault, in the exact spot, around the 260,000km mark (mines done 257,000km).

So I can just leave those pipes unbunged??? they wont leak water or anything??? Or are those two pipes part of a smaller tank in that side tank????

I have just checked the radiator, and it seems that those two small pipes are seperate from the rest of the radiator (tank inside a tank, so to speak).

Ill just put it in and see how it goes :P, and if they do leak (which they shouldnt), ill just spot weld the ************s up or something.

Thanks for the help :D